DIY Camera housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabrandon

Reaction score
I was thinking about making my own housing for my Sony High 8 video camera. Anyone got any good plans or ideas where to get info on doing this? I just cant afford the high cost of buying a pre-made one.

scubabrandon:
I was thinking about making my own housing for my Sony High 8 video camera. Anyone got any good plans or ideas where to get info on doing this? I just cant afford the high cost of buying a pre-made one.

SB,

I'm making one for my Sony out of 6" ID schedule 80 PVC. Making it just like a battery cannister with an acrylic lid on each end. Order the controls from:

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/control_parts.html

The optics won't be as good with a flat port (the acrylic lid the camera sees through) as with a domed one, but hey, I'm just trying to get a camera underwater for fun. The 6" PVC allows my LCD display to be open with the camera inside, too.

WD

I built my own. It's for a Sony TR101, but also fits TR80/82.
As chance would have it I'm looking to unload it.
I've used it to 110 fsw no problems.

Here's a link to a web sight hosted for Scuba DIY projects.

http://insel.heim.at/malediven/350052/mikedo_e.htm

PM me if you're interested.
If not PM me with your personal email and I'd be happy to supply my drawings in pdf format.

regards

Mike D

scubabrandon:

I built mine from 6" Schedule 80 also, but I went really simple. Just a watertight housing, no controls. I just button it up and then use the remote to turn it on before getting in the water. Then later I can edit out the garbage as I dub the tape.
I probably have about 80 bucks invested in it, not counting the time it took to build it. It has worked well for me, I've only used in in freshwater though, down to about 50', no problems with leakage.
Here are a couple of photos, if I can manage to post them.............
I based it from some plans I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago, if you're interested I could probably send you a copy.

Here is a website that I used to make mine. I just did my first test with it in the pool - NO LEAKS! Anyhow, it's a MSN group, so you submit your user name, the group owner will accept you, and then you can browse the sight (it's quicker and easier than it sounds). This site has everything you need to make your own housing, and the guy that owns the site is very helpful and willing to answer any questions you might have. Here is the site:

http://groups.msn.com/divelight

Here is the housing that I just finished using the website above. All the credit has to go to Padipro - it's his design, I just copied it.

I find this thread pretty interesting. I never really understand why underwater housing as so expensive. The only reason I can think about is that they are made in few.

Anyway, anyone has experiences with making housings for still camera (not video)?

wunat:
I find this thread pretty interesting. I never really understand why underwater housing as so expensive. The only reason I can think about is that they are made in few.

Anyway, anyone has experiences with making housings for still camera (not video)?
Same housing. Just make it shorter.

Gary D.

wunat:
I never really understand why underwater housing as so expensive. The only reason I can think about is that they are made in few.

I always figured that was the case too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom