DIY C batteries for dive lights (adapter for AA's)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calwolf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
C-size batteries are expensive, and rechargeable NiMH C's are both expensive and hard to find, so I decided to use AA-to-C adapters with rechargeable AA's. The AA and C batteries are the same length, so all you need to do is "widen" the AA battery so that it's as thick as the C battery. I had a couple real adpaters which work fine (you can buy them online if not in local stores), but decided to make my own when a quick search on ebay told me the adapters would be a couple bucks each (and I have a bunch of lights I loan out to friends).

So... using PVC pipe (1/2", the thick-walled 600 psi stuff, $1.69 for 10 feet at Lowe's) and a little duct tape, the solution was actually pretty easy. Cut the pipe into lengths just shorter than the battery (the battery ends need to be exposed for electical contact). Wrap the outside of the PVC pieces with duct tape until they're the same diameter as a C battery. Slip a AA battery inside and you've got an adapter. The AA battery fit is a little loose, so I wrapped a thin strip of duct tape around the middle of each battery until they were snug inside the pipe. It's not too much tape, so they still fit into the charger and most other electronics you might use them for (except mini-mag lites, and probably a few other things, but you can always unwrap the little bit of tape on the battery). Ideally, you would put something inside the PVC tube to narrow the diameter (maybe those adhesive felt or rubber dots for protecting furniture) , but duct tape on the batteries was my quick solution. I'll post a follow-up if I think of better ideas.

Seems to work fine, I could give another report later after a few dives (I'm heading to Monterey in a week!), but the light I tested powers on just fine. I thought it might be a little dull with the rechargeables since the're not the full 1.5V of alkalines, but the light seems as bright as ever.

Anyway, this AA to C adapter will likely work for anything you might need a C battery for. AA rechargeables are so much cheaper than C's, that you'll never need to buy disposeable batteries again (good for your wallet AND the environment!)

Typical NiMH battery capacity is about 2500 mAH for AA's, C's, and D's. I've seen higher capacities on C's and D's online, but the ones in Wal-Mart were still just 2500 mAH. Their best NiMH AA's were Duracell 2650 mAH (8 batteries for under $17)... so I'd get more life from them than from the far more expensive NiMH C's they sold (and I wouldn't need a new charger... most only fit AA's and AAA's). I'm guessing I'll get at least 1-2 hours of good light before recharging, so might get 2 or 3 night dives per charge... will test soon.

Anyway, thought others might want to know about this... those of you not using super-pricey HID lights, anyway. And even you have to have SOMETHING that runs on C's.

Enjoy,

--Jesse W.

you are looking in the wrong places.

www.digikey.com , www.mouser.com and www.jameco.com

they have bulk(the kind used to make batterypacks. simple green coating - noo frills - no blisterpacks, you just buy what you need. they even have the tabbed versions to solder them together AND they can spotweld batterypacks for you) nimh cells and TRUE C cells 9 with 3500 tot 4500 maH capacitiy.
there are even D cells with a 9000maH capacity out there ( those are 17$ a piece but they pack a whopping amount of power, like double to triple that of an alcaline D cell )

since you are building your own light: why not look at 3/4 A cells
they are slightly thicker then a regular AA cell and about 1/4 longer then an aa cell but they have like 3000 to 3400 maH

oh and whatever you do : do NOT use LiION cells. that is playing with fire.
charging them is very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing ( the charging electronics is a precision circuit. beeing off by a tenth of a volt leads to explosions ) and should the cell come in contact with saltwater ( flooding ) your self built light becomes a very effective bomb possibly blowing your hand or whole arm off. Lithium reacts violently with water. ( it strips the electrons off the oxygen atom , breaking h2o into its components hydrogen and oxygen. while doing that it heats up (exothermic reaction ) and becomes so hot that the oxygen will self combust. since there is als hydrogen in the vicinity ... well you get the picture.

liion batteries ARe used underwater but they are always mounted in such a way that there is no room around them ( so very little water can come in contact ) and the cannister is typically made from milled aluminum with a thick wall. there is an intentional 'soft spot'. Should anything happen : that will blow out preventing the entire thing from flyint to pieces

I found a 10 pack 5000 maH C-cells for $30 on e-bay, but if you google rechargeable NiMH batteries, there is one site that sells battery packs for dive lights... not to shabby either(considering the hardest part of my DIY light has been the battery pack).
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=875
they're ok...but I've been looking through it and I guess it's not that great of a deal...

hmmm.... I wouldn't have thought AA's could hold enough power.... i think I'll look into it, after this light I want to make a strobe for the camara.

the highest PD for a nimh in aa is about 2300mAh. Don't be fooled bying 2500mAh or higher in AA. there is no such thing ( yes you can pull that but the vbat drops to 0.7 volts which makes it useless )
look at the discharge curves.

i use sanyo cells 2300ma in AA
or panasonics ( the bulk green ones for battery packs )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom