DIY BP - The Kluge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info FredT. Don't go out of your way, this is just a discussion item. But, I must say that you pop up with some interesting info about metal and manufacturing from time to time.

The first "backplate" I saw came as part of a Nemrod scuba package sold by Sears & Roebuck in 1965, almost 15 years before the "inventor" cut up his stop sign.
It was slightly more triangular in shape, and stable enough to use without the crotch strap.

I'm phasing out the Northern Diver goodies, by the way. Their Xwing was a darn good deal for the dollar, but their customer support was lacking to the max.

I'll soon have some high quality "made in the USA" wings made to order, using tougher nylon on the outer shell & the same bladder material as the "big boys".
Any suggestions on sizes/styles?

A small <20# oval shaped wing (ala Pioneer) that would work with the plastic backpack and single metal hoop tank band.

AWAP

That looks like a really interesting project.

I've just bought a TPII with a Travel Wing over a Pioneer 27lb. Cost was an issue for me but a pull dump for my air2 was probably the deciding factor coupled with my doubts that the inflator hose didn't look long enough to use an Air2 (Couldn't find any measurements). Being in the UK didn’t help, we only have one Halcyon retailer who doesn’t seem to want to answer emails.

Anyway I really like the simplicity of a BP and wing set up and I'm not put off by the set up issues since I have unlimited access to a pool. So I’m watching your project with baited breath !!

In fact once you’ve sorted out all the problems I’m going to give it a go myself. :)

Ian H

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't AUL have a 35# wing on their site for relatively cheap? I could have sworn I saw one there.

Hit the local lake on monday. 75 degree air just makes you sweat more as you get ready for 55 degeree water. And the trip was a qualified success.

It's just going to take more time getting used to this thing. Managing the SP tank straps and the pony strap is just a minor PITA. The weight belt and croutch strap will take more attention. Trying to put the weight belt on last is not the answer. At a minimum, I think I need to empty the lower D-rings (collection bag, DSMB, & guages) and reattach that stuff after the weight belt is in place over the croutch strap. In fact, since I only dive singles, I need to try it without the crouch strap so I can put weight belt on first and have it out of the way. Anyone doing that?

Also, more neoprene than I have ever used before including my first try with neoprene gloves resulted in the setup being too tight and difficulty in finding and operating double enders on my hips. I also could not reach the tank valve, so I'll have to play with that also. Damn, I like warm water.

And the 2-3 ft vis really doesn't make for much of a dive. But it still felt good. The rig just wants you to be horizontal which makes it quite easy to keep your fins away from the silty bottom.

I think I'm going to like this.

I've only been able to dive it in a local river (spring fed, 68 to 70 deg, current). I retired the crouch strap and that was major improvement for donning. Have not been able to try too many positions as the river tends to dictate body position but it seems fine. Also had the shoulder straps too tight. A couple more inches there also helped with donning and doffing and it's still plenty snug in the water. Still looking in to the Al/SS concern. I could change from SS to brass of even Al if I can find them. With 6 screws in each STA, I don't expect any strength problems.

Back
Top Bottom