Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vitaly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Planning a trip to Baja in September with my family (wife and 2 kids). 3 of us are divers and one (8 years boy) is too young for diving but he likes to snorkel so what is the best option? Ask the dive shop to arrange the trip for divers and snorkelers on the same boat or just dive in the morning and snorkel afternoon?
Also where do you recommend to stay? Cabo San Lucas, Cabo Pulmo, La Paz or somewhere else?

Thank you,
Vitaly.

Boat trips out of La Paz tend to be all day affairs due to the distance involved. Some sites (eg, Los Islotes) are both snorkeling & diving sites, but others, due to the current, would not be fun or safe for snorkeling. I haven't dove Cabo Pulmo, but I understand the distances are not as great, so they might do half day trips. Diving at Cabo San Lucas is not as good as the other two. I would call Club Cantamar at La Paz and see what they can arrange. They send out half a dozen boats each day, so you might be able limit your trips to appropriate sites. Who watches the kid while your diving?

Hi vitaly and welcome to :sblogo:

September-October should be a great time to visit Baja, good water temps!

Here is an old trip report of mine from the Los Cabos area.

Los Cabos at the Club Regina, Westin
20 Minutes from Cabo San Lucas and 10 minutes from San Jose del Cabo
Trip date: 9/29/2004 thru 10/6/2004
Dive Operator: Amigos del Mar CSL

1 of 6 dives, Sat Oct. 2nd
My Dive #7 Pelican Rock, near El Arco, Lovers Beach
Depth: 87 ft
Time: 44 min.
Water temp: 80 deg F
Visibility: 60+ ft
Boat: Trimaran
Saw a few reef sharks on the bottom, various fish (not a whole lot), a few lobsters in crevices. Relaxing dive, good beginning. Used 3 mil full suit.

2 of 6 dives, Sat Oct. 2nd
My Dive #8 Neptune’s Finger, near El Arco, Lovers Beach
Depth: 73 ft
Time: 43 min.
Boat: Trimaran
Saw 2 White Tip Sharks, very close, very curious, one large ray.

3 of 6 dives, Mon Oct. 4th
My Dive #9 Blow Hole, near Chileno Beach
Depth: 79 ft
Time: 36 min.
Water temp: 81 deg F
Boat: 6 diver panga
Very beautiful underwater scenery. Did my 1st swim through, really fun.

4 of 6 dives, Mon Oct. 4th
My Dive #10 Twin Dolphins, near Chileno Beach
Depth: 65 ft
Time: 47 min.
Water temp: 81 deg F
Very beautiful underwater scenery, with fans corals and sponges.

5 of 6 dives, Tues Oct. 5th
My Dive #11 Gordo Banks, ! ½ hour boat ride from CSL marina
Depth: 105 ft
Time: 36 min.
Water temp: 77 deg F
Visibility: 80+ ft
Gordo Banks is and underwater mountain with the peak 110 ft below the surface.
We anchored, ascended on the line to depth. Stay at depth for 10 min, then to 60 ft for another 10 min. Lots of schooling Jack and Tuna, Very exciting dive, and my deepest to date. After surfacing we had lunch while doing our 1 ½ hour SI.

6 of 6 dives, Tues Oct. 5th
My Dive #12 Gordo Banks
Depth: 101 ft
Time: 45 min.
Visibility: 80+ ft
Still looking for Hammer Head Sharks or large Mantas, but no luck. Saw a Sea Lion quite surprisingly, as he is 8 miles from the nearest rookery. He was an excellent swimmer, and man could he hold his breath. There were lots of small jelly fish around, which I avoided. But after surfacing I got a pimple like rash on one shoulder. I think it may be the Jellyfish larva as discussed on another thread.

All and all it was great diving, Amigos del Mar were very friendly and very safe.
The stay at the Westin Club Regina was fabulous, can’t wait to go back, as I didn’t get a chance to dive Cabo Pulmo, they were diving there the day we were leaving.

Since this report I have dived Cabo Pulmo, great dive, don't miss it!
Cabo Pulmo U/W Pics

Cabo San Lucas may be a good option. Most of the dive sites are around the arch which is a short ride from the marina. There are pleanty of things for snorkelers to see in the shallows and if they get bored they can just swim over to Lovers Beach and hang out.

We dove with Amigos Del Mar and they had snorkelers on the same boat as divers.

Hello.Cabo San Lucas would be great because The Dive locations are close to the Marina just 10 min.s and you are in great Dive a area that is also a great snorkeling spot.The tip of Cabo is like an Island three sides are water one side desert.Snorkeling Is great because there are rock formations the break the surface just meters away from the cliffs. You can snorkel in shallow water 6 to 10 feet and see 300 species of tropical fish.Divers will be surprised at what there is to see. Sea Fans,Soft coral,eagle Rays ,large schools of tropical fish, a large Sea Lions colony and The Sand falls. There is more than one in Summer. I have seen one so Big that we got in it and rode it Down the slope. Snorkelers can be droped on the beach between Dives or stay on board. Cabo Pulmo is a great Dive as well. On the Dive boats it is a little deep for snorkelers but on shore Snorkeling is ok.The time of year you are going the water will be 80 degrees or so and calm as a bath tub.Vis. can reach 150 feet.
I Dive with Baja Dive Nice Boat with all safty gear Co2 first aid kit and PADI Dive Masters lead groups with a max of 6 Divers plus a full hard top for lots of shade.Ther are located in The Marina at the Tesoro Los Cabos Resort.They will carry, wash and store your gear.follow this link for contact Info. www.baja-dive.net

Thanks everybody for your replies. It seems like the best way for us do not mix diving and snorkeling and go to place close to the dive locations. Cabo San Lucas, Cabo Pulmo, Loreto. Dive in the morning and snorkel afternoon together.

Cabo water in September will be sooo nice, bathtub warm. We go every year for Labour Day week and I love the diving then. The visibility is just ok, but the water is really warm 80s. I use Amigos Del Mar, they have a nice big boat with a head, oxygen and space to place your items. Their shop is close to the Playa Grande, Sol Mar, Terra Sol and Finisterra Resorts. they will take snorklers on their boat, especially in off season. have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom