Diving Without Spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I got certified at the same time this past December. She's a physician also, and has a busy schedule. She also has other priorities. In any case, it's beginning to look like my plan to go on a scuba trip every 6-8 weeks throughout the year is more aggressive than her personal scuba goals. I may have her with me once or twice a year, that's it. That means I'm looking at solo scuba trips. I'm more independent than I was when I was younger, so perhaps it'll be entertaining, who knows. I just thought I'd start a thread about this subject of going on scuba trips without your spouse, to see if others have been faced with a similar dilemma. I guess I need to get a bumper sticker that says, "My wife told me it was her or the scuba diving. I really was fond of that woman."

I emphathise. I have a non-diving spouse too, so I have to go solo myself from time to time. My theory is that if you have to do a solo trip, you may as well go all in. Fly half way around the world to dream diving destination and dive your guts out 24-7. Either you have permission, or you get in trouble anyhow. Either way, you have to maximise your opportunity.

I did Truk Lagoon and the Philippines last year. Long slogs, but amazing diving and very, very glad that I went.

My wife does not dive, she tried it and decided it was not for her. My LDS sponsors a dive club and I have made friends that I like diving with through the club. This is a great way to find dive buddies.

Going on a dive trip organized by a Dive Club or Dive Shop is also a good way to meet fellow divers and to ensure you will know people when you reach the dive destination. You can just pay the single supplement for your room if you are uncomfortable sharing, usually just $200-$300.

You can also encourage other family members to start diving. I leave for Bonaire on Friday night for a week of diving with my oldest son. I have another son, a daughter and grandson who dive. Its never too late for someone to start diving. I did my OW when I was 61.

Its never too late for someone to start diving. I did my OW when I was 61.

Yep. I took my Dad to Truk Lagoon, aged 72.

Going on a dive trip organized by a Dive Club or Dive Shop is also a good way to meet fellow divers and to ensure you will know people when you reach the dive destination.

Yep, just signed up for the Cozumel Invasion.

You can just pay the single supplement for your room if you are uncomfortable sharing, usually just $200-$300.

Yes, I'm uncomfortable sharing a room with someone who snores.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom