Diving with way too much gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude79

Contributor
Reaction score
We all know that one of the best parts of scuba diving is all the cool gear we get to play with. There is definitely a time and place for using all this neat stuff, but probably not all of it at once!

I was on my first Advanced Open Water training dive of the weekend and we had already established whom our buddies would be. My buddy was a person that I had been diving with before so we were familiar and comfortable diving together. As many of you know or will soon find out, the AOW training deals a lot with additional task loading activities which are fun and potentially stressing.

My buddy and I had been in the process of acquiring lots of new cool gear and we were both rather excited to use the gear. We were both trained to always be familiar with your gear before diving with it, and only dive with what you need for that specific dive. I had taking the time to get acquainted with my new gear so when the time came I would be comfortable and ready to use it efficiently. My buddy however did not, and he thought it would be ok to do that in the water and worse during training. I had only my basic required gear for a cold water dive and my compass as this was the navigation dive and I did not see exactly what my buddy had in his BC as he was preparing for the dive.

After we did our buddy check and swam out to the buoy, my buddy kept on complaining that he felt as though he was rolling in the water. We stopped and I helped him check his weights for proper balance and in the effort I found out that he had pretty much packed all of his new gear in one pocket. This caused a major balance and buoyancy issue that was causing his rolling in the water.

Due to the constant rolling, balancing of equipment, and my observation of extreme agitation, I decided to take a break at the surface with my buddy and allow him to relax so we didn't need to call the dive. He kept on fighting with his gear and I did not see any sign of him calming down so I was about to call the dive when suddenly I noticed that his automatic surface sausage inflated. That really caused more anger and then put him into a near panic state due to the stress which then caused his mask strap to break off of his head and sink. The gear he had in his right pocket was one large and one small flashlight, his compass which was needed, a surface sausage, and a large dive knife. In his opposite pocket, he had a pair of 5mm gloves which he had not put on yet which were very buoyant.

I kept my distance and talked him down from panic and told him that we were not going to dive now and it was ok for us to just relax and figure out a better way to fix what was going on.

Moral of the story: Diving equipment is cool, but use common sense and when using it make sure you are balanced.

He kept on fighting with his gear and I did not see any sign of him calming down so I was about to call the dive when suddenly I noticed that his automatic surface sausage inflated.
Hopefully I read this wrong, but it sounds like you were diving without an automatic, self-inflating surface sausage? Is that safe? :wink:

What accessories do you really NEED on a dive?

A knife (small and sharp and rust proof)
A line (15-30m finger reel sufficient for most divers not doing penetrations)
A DSMB (size/capacity appropriate for the diving environment)
A whistle
A small slate (even better, wet notes) and pencil.
A torch (many excellent small LED torches available now)

All of this stuff can be easily fitted into BCD or wet/drysuit pockets, or stowed neatly and discretely in and around a wing.

For warm water recreational use, I dive with a single tank wing....so here is what I carry....

Halcyon Titanium Knife, mounted on the waistband
15m Finger Spool clipped with double-ender to my LHS wist D-Ring
Oral Inflate DSMB held in bungees under my backplate
A marine whistle held by split ring to my LHS chest D-Ring
A waterproof notebook and small propelling pencil in my wetsuit pocket

As a working instructor... this kit meets all my needs. What else would I want to carry?

For tech diving, I carry two small knives (both waist mounted on left and right), a 125m penetration reel, a 20m finger spool, 2x large semi-closed DSMB (orange and yellow), a spare mask, waterproof notebook, pencil and laminated back-up tables/plans. The only addition to my kit to carry this is either a waist pocket on my wing or a higher volume bellows pocket on my wetsuit.

What your buddy had in his pockets isn't enough to make anybody significantly unbalanced, and how being unbalanced caused his mask strap to break is a total mystery to me.

Either this person is operating with way too much anxiety on such simple dives, or there's something not quite right about this story.

"...automatic surface sausage ..."?!

"...automatic surface sausage ..."?!
I think he means a CO2 charged DSMB, pull the cord and it inflates from the cartridge. Not 'automatic' per se.

I used to have one of these...a nice idea...and it worked fine...but I was always terrified it would deploy by accident at depth!

More likely something like this:

Innovative S.M.A.R.T BCD Integrated Safety Signal Tube

It attaches to the bc over-pressure valve and is inflated by pulling the string and dumping air from the bc into the sausage. Quite a Rube Goldberg contraption.
Saw that advertised once. So if you over inflate your BC, that would be another way to deploy it, even if inadvertently? Don't think I ever have except on tests, but hmmm.

I didn't like this part: "to deflate SMART tube after the dive simply hold Release Cord firmly in the "open" position while rolling up SMART tube" - sounds like you'd need to wait until BC is off to roll it up...?

Hot seller to :newbie:s...?

Thanks TSandM,

Probably need to clarify how we fixed the rolling.

His buoyancy issues were greatly improved after he removed his 5 mil gloves from the opposite pocket of his stashed gear and put them on. They seemed to be causing the biggest part of the roll problem because they float quite well. His other non-essential gear weighed about 6 lbs with the batteries and all so I would say there was about a total of 10 lbs buoyancy difference. With having the other pocket now free, we balanced the gear (for comfort sake).

The mask strap breakage was not caused directly due to the buoyancy characteristics, but just the stress build up caused him to break it in his near-panic.

The gear he had in his right pocket was one large and one small flashlight, his compass which was needed, a surface sausage, and a large dive knife. In his opposite pocket, he had a pair of 5mm gloves which he had not put on yet which were very buoyant.
I have a spare mask, a spare cutting device, wetnotes, a spool and a safety sausage split between my pockets. If I stuff it all in one, or mix 'em up, I really can't feel the difference trim wise at all. Certainly not enough to cause any stress. I've had a 5# weight jammed into one pocket and didn't notice.

My guess is that the stress was caused by something else. My guess is that we have divers who are enrolled in an "Advanced" class who still need training in BOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom