Diving with Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not the end-all, be-all of shark diving. If you're willing to drop down below the Caribbean region to the Galapagos Islands, you can dive with hammerheads.
We have lots of Hammerheads in Tampa Bay, FL. I saw a special on discovery channel that claimed it was the largest hammerhead breeding ground in the world - with video that made me believe the claim.

The area shown was just under the Skyway bridge. Unfortunately, that's the big shipping lane for the port of Tampa so that's probably why there aren't regular shark dives. It might have to be done as a private charter.

Also, there's lots of hammerheads off the shores of Indian Rocks Beach. Shark fishing is popular there.

I did a few dives with UNEXSO when were were in Port Lucaya a few years ago. They were the closest dive op to our hotel.

I did pay extra for their shark feeding dive at a site called Shark Alley. The dive site is actually within view of the hotel beaches along that strip. The satellite view on Google Maps even shows what I believe is a dive boat at the site (26.508334, -78.629612).

On a couple of occasions, we did the same site on non-feeding recreational dives. It was readily apparent that the sharks were completely conditioned to the feedings. If you look underwater after entering your giant stride from the boat, you can see the Caribbean reef sharks coming in from all directions. Once the diver in the chain mail suit and a bucket of chum fails to enter the water, most of them swim off, but enough stick around to let you see a bunch of sharks throughout the dive.

I would not pay the hefty premium for the shark feeding dive again. They go to that site a lot for their recreational dives, and sightings are pretty much guaranteed. The only thing that you miss is kneeling in a semi-circle in the sand while they induce tonic immobility and let you pet it. I guess that you also miss the a grouper that was a bit of a lap dog waiting for scraps left by the sharks.

I did a few dives with UNEXSO when were were in Port Lucaya a few years ago. They were the closest dive op to our hotel.

I did pay extra for their shark feeding dive at a site called Shark Alley. The dive site is actually within view of the hotel beaches along that strip. The satellite view on Google Maps even shows what I believe is a dive boat at the site (26.508334, -78.629612).

On a couple of occasions, we did the same site on non-feeding recreational dives. It was readily apparent that the sharks were completely conditioned to the feedings. If you look underwater after entering your giant stride from the boat, you can see the Caribbean reef sharks coming in from all directions. Once the diver in the chain mail suit and a bucket of chum fails to enter the water, most of them swim off, but enough stick around to let you see a bunch of sharks throughout the dive.

I would not pay the hefty premium for the shark feeding dive again. They go to that site a lot for their recreational dives, and sightings are pretty much guaranteed. The only thing that you miss is kneeling in a semi-circle in the sand while they induce tonic immobility and let you pet it. I guess that you also miss the a grouper that was a bit of a lap dog waiting for scraps left by the sharks.

IMO it's not a good practice and I wouldn't encourage it by participating. Better things to spend money one.

I guess that you also miss the a grouper that was a bit of a lap dog waiting for scraps left by the sharks.

Can't remember exactly which dive site we saw the grouper as one site runs into another into another and so on, but there is a grouper, about the size of an adult bulldog that hangs out for you to take selfies with. Some people, unfortunately, do pet it and it just stays there. I know it is still there as an acquaintance is currently in Freeport and has posted pictures of it on FB.

As mentioned in my earlier post, there are shark feeding dives, but the link I posted earlier for Cristina Zenato shows a course for a shark experience that does not include handling, touching, or feeding. But she offers a couple of others where, in one, a participant could put on chainmail.

Again, I personally wouldn't do a shark feeding dive and pay extra when it's likely one would dive the site, Shark Junction, if diving at least a couple of days on the island - at the very least one could request it - and see reef sharks.

To the OP, Grand Bahama Scuba lets you dive your air. They pretty much anchor the boat, divers go down together but you can follow Melinda or dive your plan, let you come up when you are ready, surface interval, repeat at another site. Not sure about the other ops I mentioned earlier - you could email them and ask.

There are several ops around Freeport. One thing I found (pre-pandemic) is that there are some ops that may not go out if there are not enough divers.

I stayed at Ocean Reef Yacht Club & Resort (about a 3 star resort) in 2018. The dive op Grand Bahama Scuba is located there. Grand Bahama Scuba They go out Monday - Friday and maybe Saturday. Fred and his wife Melinda run the place and go out on the boat every trip. Boat rides are pretty short. I emailed them the first time I went (due to go back late March 2022) and they replied quickly. If you have a car, there are places to park at the resort (I use the term loosely - to be fair, it has everything we need.) Grand Bahama Scuba goes out as long as conditions permits.

Chances are on some dive you do there, reef sharks will be near. Shark Junction is a dive site where some ops feed the sharks. You don't need to pay extra to see the sharks. We found that just going down at that site, sharks will come around thinking they're getting fed. Actually saw the site on a show this year during Shark Week (read farther down.)

Although we didn't use them, Sunn Odyssey Divers Home is an op I will dive with some when we are there again in March. They found sites (on 2018 trip) to dive when Grand Bahama Scuba didn't go out because of weather. We did talk to them and they seemed like good people. They go out Mon - Sat and may provide transportation from where you are staying.

One other possibility - one I'm considering for an experience - is to look up Cristina Zenato (the Shark Whisperer) who was featured on one of the programs during Shark Week. She might be with UNEXSO (a dive op) which is located in the Port Lucaya Marina, which is next-door to the Lucaya Marketplace (good restaurants.) Although you don't need to pay to see sharks, it could be a great experience.

Cristina Zenato
Bahamas Scuba Diving & Interactive Dolphin Activities

Hope this gives you some ideas. I can give you a few other things not to miss while you're there. Let me know.
I also would highly recommend Grand Bahama SCUBA. My wife was told for years by "experts" that since she had ruptured her ear drums that she would go deaf if she learned to dive. Fred and Melinda worked with my wife and she is now diving on a regular (and relaxed) basis.

IMO it's not a good practice and I wouldn't encourage it by participating. Better things to spend money one.
I would def'ly not recommend the shark feeding. It is a gimmick. Sharks are very docile and amazing animals to simply just watch. If you want a really great "shark dive" or any other type of dive, get with Grand Bahama SCUBA on Grand Bahama Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom