Diving with reef trekkers from Waikiki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Hawaii OHana....

their generally known as "reef wreckers" in the industry 8(
i've never noticed anything that would constitute that name,,, then again the ol' eyes aren't what they used to be

We dove with Reeftrekkers once, 4 years ago. We were brand new divers then, so we were looking for an easy, shallow dive, and most of the dive ops we looked at advertised deep wrecks that we were definitely not ready for.
We ended up on a cattle boat with a Discover Scuba class. The 4 certified divers had their own DM and did a separate dive on the same site. I didn't think they were awful (though the DM handled wildlife more than I am comfortable with) but nothing to write home about either. But then, we did get exactly what we had asked for, and they seemed eager to make sure we had a good time. But local folks can probably recommend someone better for the kind of diving you want.
If they are locally known as Reef Wreckers, it's probably because they do a lot of Discover Scuba classes. All those students still trying to figure out how to control their buoyancy have to be hard on the reef...

They are the reason my husband doesn't dive.

We did a Discover Scuba with them back in '02. So take it with a grain of salt- maybe they've changed.

My husband has asthma (caused by allergies or caused by exercise- we don't know- they didn't require a doctor's okay and didn't inform us of the potential risks). Our friend, who dove with us, has diabetes- he had the insulin pump with the needle inserted in his abdomen- had to remove it for the dive. Again, no doctor's okay, no risks mentioned.

My husband had a panic attack on our second dive and they forced him to finish the dive for another 10 minutes by adding weight to his belt. I'm not a DM, instructor or dive professional of any sort- but, I'm thinking that if you are paid to take someone (who has no certification) on an underwater tour and that person has a panic attack at 30 feet, especially if that person has asthma, you should probably thumb the dive.

So that's my opinion.

I still have the little Reef Trekkers decal they gave us- that's how I know it's them :wink:
Oahu Scuba Diving - Dive ReefTrekkers Hawaii - Waikiki, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Please, mods, let me know if I need to edit this.

TG
PS Yes, I know that with asthma, he probably wouldn't be diving anyway. But he would have at least gone to the doctor to check it out and see- so that's why I say they are the reason.

**edit**
wow- all I did was put in the URL and it automatically changed to the big long pretty link.

Thanks for the input, I have managed to find a few other far more favoured outfits, and one of which being right close to one of the places we will be working when we are there, so when I get back I draw up a report of the other outfits I intend to dive with. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom