Diving with R.E.E.F. in Utila with Deep Blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar:
Don, I'm not sure if you are still in Utila or back home, hope you do 'nice trip report' for us when you get back. As I plan to be La Ceiba/Utila from Oct. 7th-21st.

Was talking to Eco-Marine/Gunters Dive shop, can anyone comment on their operation? Also if anyone is familiar with Colibri Hill Resort or Seaside Inn Hotel, these were places I was looking into staying at?

We get to Utila pretty often. Recently spent february & most of March there. Dove with Deep Blue divers, Deep Blue Rresort and Gunter's/Ecomarine. All good ops. Here's what we alway do: Go to the Hotel Rose the first night or two. (directly across street from Deep Blue divers) Suggest you rent a bike, it'll save you a lot of time. Then go to the places you are interested in...talk to the various operators...ask about package dive deals and room rates, etc. We often stay in the Rose for the duration and dive with /Deep Blue they have let us store our gear there in the past. We have a lot of friends there in Utila. If you don't have gear, I believe it is included in the dive rate..however. you''ll have to talk to the operators about that. You'll have a great time whatever you decide.

Regards,

Cudabait:
We get to Utila pretty often. Recently spent february & most of March there. Dove with Deep Blue divers, Deep Blue Rresort and Gunter's/Ecomarine. All good ops. Here's what we alway do: Go to the Hotel Rose the first night or two. (directly across street from Deep Blue divers) Suggest you rent a bike, it'll save you a lot of time. Then go to the places you are interested in...talk to the various operators...ask about package dive deals and room rates, etc. We often stay in the Rose for the duration and dive with /Deep Blue they have let us store our gear there in the past. We have a lot of friends there in Utila. If you don't have gear, I believe it is included in the dive rate..however. you''ll have to talk to the operators about that. You'll have a great time whatever you decide.

Regards,

in country dive trip. Our requirements for a hotel are A/C, hot water, and kitchenette, a room for three. Any recommendations? We've done Roatan twice in the past 18 months. The last trip was miserable - obnoxious crusie ship pod people all over the place - like hordes of lemmings with heat stroke. Getting smacked or run over by moronic kayakers while snorkeling, watching the idiots actually STAND on the reef and then get rude about it when you point out they are damaging it, and the general condescending, rude attitude of the offloaded passengers in general was enough to turn me off to another trip there.

DiversMom:
in country dive trip. Our requirements for a hotel are A/C, hot water, and kitchenette, a room for three. Any recommendations? We've done Roatan twice in the past 18 months. The last trip was miserable - obnoxious crusie ship pod people all over the place - like hordes of lemmings with heat stroke. Getting smacked or run over by moronic kayakers while snorkeling, watching the idiots actually STAND on the reef and then get rude about it when you point out they are damaging it, and the general condescending, rude attitude of the offloaded passengers in general was enough to turn me off to another trip there.

Sandi,

You can check out "About Utila" web site. It's a pretty accurate site for current info, including prices and places to stay. Also, the webmaster does not seem to have a dog in the fight. The Colibri is a small, newer hotel located very close to Gunter's/Ecomarine. They have nice rooms with AC and a small bar and I beleive they have a restaurant. The Hotel Rose is laocated directly across the strteet from Deep Blue Divers and the Utila Hotel (reaasonable) is located right next door to Utila Lodge and is about half the distance between Deep Blue and Ecomarine. Utila has a small cruise boat that comes in on Tuesdays. They all usually stroll from one end of the island to the other and get back on the boat. A few dive and snorkle. Does not surprise me about Roatan. Some recent reports from others would indicate that even some of the better known all inclusives there are having "cattle boat" and "crash diver" problems.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Sandi,

You can check out "About Utila" web site. It's a pretty accurate site for current info, including prices and places to stay. Also, the webmaster does not seem to have a dog in the fight. The Colibri is a small, newer hotel located very close to Gunter's/Ecomarine. They have nice rooms with AC and a small bar and I beleive they have a restaurant. The Hotel Rose is laocated directly across the strteet from Deep Blue Divers and the Utila Hotel (reaasonable) is located right next door to Utila Lodge and is about half the distance between Deep Blue and Ecomarine. Utila has a small cruise boat that comes in on Tuesdays. They all usually stroll from one end of the island to the other and get back on the boat. A few dive and snorkle. Does not surprise me about Roatan. Some recent reports from others would indicate that even some of the better known all inclusives there are having "cattle boat" and "crash diver" problems.

Regards,

will check out About Utila.

Hi All

I would just like to say that the REEF Group www.REEF.org were a pleasure to have staying with us and a pleasure to dive with, these are some of the most enthusiastic divers I have seen, you could throw these guys into a fish bowl and if there were fish there they would be happy.

They all had such enthusiasm for the marine life that they saw and one thing that I will say is that if anyone has ever thought of going on a REEF trip, do it they had everyone from experts to complete novices and the experts were a great help to the novices.

Nightly talks were given by Bryan Dias of REEF on local fish species.

All I can say is all of you have now seen what a huge diversity of fish that we have here, I would love to arrange something for next year and would happily welcome you all back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom