Diving with purpura?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roncone

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I am a 45-year-old otherwise healthy male. I noticed red lesions developing on my shins about 4 months ago. They have spread up my shins and to my feet but do not extend above my knees. They are non-painful and they do not itch. I went to my MD and he performed a biopsy and they were identified as purpura. My blood work came back as normal and I have no problems clotting. Other than them being unsightly, I don't notice them at all.

I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a month. I am certain that this will be diagnosed as Schamberg's disease. Does anyone have experience with this? Are there any potential risks associated with diving with this condition?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated!

Ron

Hi all,

I am a 45-year-old otherwise healthy male. I noticed red lesions developing on my shins about 4 months ago. They have spread up my shins and to my feet but do not extend above my knees. They are non-painful and they do not itch. I went to my MD and he performed a biopsy and they were identified as purpura. My blood work came back as normal and I have no problems clotting. Other than them being unsightly, I don't notice them at all.

I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a month. I am certain that this will be diagnosed as Schamberg's disease. Does anyone have experience with this? Are there any potential risks associated with diving with this condition?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated!

Ron

If nonblanching, then yes, have had experience. Purpura pigmentosa. Doctors' best guess: allergic response due to exposure to extemely cold water and very complex physiology. My son. One and only one incident, years ago. Turned out to be completely innocuous. Left pigmented patches that faded over time.

Wishing the same for you,
lowviz

What makes you so certain that your diagnosis will be the relatively rare Schamberg's disease?

FWIW, if the diagnosis does turn out to be Schamberg's, no one really knows the etiology of the disorder.
Experts in the field have hypothesized that it might be caused by a viral infection, hypersensitivity to an unknown substance, drug reaction, or an abnormal cell-mediated immune response.
If you believe that an immune response is involved in DCS pathogenesis, then the last of those hypotheses could potentially be cause for concern.

I can guarantee that you won't find any publications in the scientific literature linking Schamberg's disease to DCS. It's a pretty rare disorder.

One thing to keep in mind is that an itchy rash is a hallmark of a Type I DCS hit involving the skin. It could complicate DCS diagnosis.

Thank you for your responses. I should clarify that these lesions appeared spontaneously and not as a result of diving. My last dive was over 3 months before their appearance. I'm pretty certain it's Schamberg's because of their clinical appearance, their development, the biopsy confirming purpura, and the fact that my bloodwork is normal.

I'm sure I won't find anything linking Schamberg's to DCS, but I thought I'd throw it out there because I can't help wondering if the fluid dynamics associated with leaky superficial capillaries (whatever the cause) may predispose me to DCS.

Ron

Hi Roncone,

While Schamberg's disease is uncommon, your description certainly is suggestive.

The disease is a type of pigmented purpuric dermatosis. It typically is not a medically worrisome condition although affected individuals may find it cosmetically offensive and when accompanied by itching it can be annoying.

There is no immediate reason to suspect that this disease has meaningful implications for SCUBA or vice-versa.

Please keep the board posted on your continuing medical work up.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Thank you DocV. Much appreciated.

I will post when I know more.

Regards

Ron

Back
Top Bottom