Diving with One Lung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divebuddies:
Oh dear. This is far more complicated than I had hoped for. I'm now even more interested in what the doc has to say.
-Divebuddies
Far better than getting concrete medical advice from here! But the advice does arm you with good questions to ask. And the fact that he had his lung out at year 10 is a very significant fact that was never mentioned beforehand! After so many years, his lung vacancy should respond no different than any other intersticial space in his perineum. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Go see the doc, and the advice to see a doc who specializes in diving medicine, or at least, is an active diver is the definitely good advice.

gr8white:
...After so many years, his lung vacancy should respond no different than any other intersticial space in his perineum. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

In his perineum, huh? Don't think ya meant that. :wink:

Jim

LOL I didn't even catch that, too funny.

That's what I get for writing late at night while watching TV! I did not mean the lung is in the perineum. Although some people I have meant have breath making me think theirs was....

Just to clarify....I meant to say...like any other intersticial spaces "in the chest cavity" or perineum. What the hell do I know. I'm just a diver.......

I would be interested in hearing what the Doc says also. I had an instructor that taught us U/W Archeaology. He had one lung and had been diving for years with it. When we would go work the site, he dove for 2 hours + on a 72 cu ft tank. We dove for about an 1 1/2 hours on an 80. We were in about 20-25 feet of water. He dove all over the world for his job and recreation.

carlislere:
I would be interested in hearing what the Doc says also. I had an instructor that taught us U/W Archeaology. He had one lung and had been diving for years with it. When we would go work the site, he dove for 2 hours + on a 72 cu ft tank. We dove for about an 1 1/2 hours on an 80. We were in about 20-25 feet of water. He dove all over the world for his job and recreation.
My guess is acclimation and experience. His body adjusted and his increased diving experience allows him to use less gas in a given time than less experienced divers.

Here's a question though, to those that might know the answer. I am neither a doc nor EMT but do have a degree in biology and an understanding of physics. If the lung is removed, and the cavity closed, why would that pose a decompression problem during diving? Even if there is gas remaining in the chest cavity (which I believe whould dissipate over time, if there was any), it would compress at depth, and expand upon ascent, but not beyond its original volume. No volume has been added such as when a diver breathes in gas from a tank then ascends. Why is there discussion in previous threads about problems with this? Am I missing something? An inquiring mind want to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom