diving with newly diagnosed brain anurysm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mla

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi fellow divers

I was wondering if anyone knows if diving will be a problem for my newly diagnosed brain anurysm located behind the eye? I can't seem to find any info and it's stable and small in size and I don't want to give up the one thing I love, DIIVING! Any information, would be helpful. Thanks mla

Have you tried calling DAN for medical advice?

1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm (ET)

In general, high blood pressure (and smoking) are important risk factors for aneurysm leakage. Diving may require lifting and exertions which will raise BP over your baseline. You may want to ask your doctor about this.

Also, are any symptoms now under control and have they been discussed with your doctor in terms of continuing to dive safely? As an example (which might not apply to your case): There're a few fairly common sites for aneuysms; usually at points of artery branching (bifurcations). One such site for "behind the eye" is the carotid-ophthalmic junction. Here, if the aneurysm presses on the nearby optic nerve, visual disturbances may result. This may become a problem while in the water.

Last edited:
Diving may require lifting and exertions which will raise BP over your baseline.

Also of potential concern are equalization techniques that raise venous system and intracranial pressures, such as the Valsalva manuever.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks, it is behind the eye at that juncture and none of the Dr.s can give me an answer so thanks a bunch.

I don't have blood pressure or smoking issues so the only concern is where it's at.

mla, I'd be more concerned about the symptoms that led to the study that found the aneurysm. Small aneurysms are not uncommon, and are usually asymptomatic. It is true that things that elevate blood pressure significantly are a risk factor for aneurysm rupture, but this could occur during any sport. I don't see an issue with Valsalva, which will raise intracranial pressure (therefore decreasing the pressure differential across the aneurysm wall) and venous pressures (which you don't really care about).

But the study was done for some reason . . . if there is any question of aneurysm leak, you're in a whole different category.

I can definitely tell you that there are no long-term studies of people with asymptomatic aneurysms who dive, to see what the outcome for those people is. So none of us can answer you with data, but only with the best assessments we can make, based on what is known about the behavior of aneurysms.

It was found by accident, I had some ear issues, vertigo etc and the MRA found it . I occasionally have some eye blurring but not all the time. The Dr is leaving it alone and I don't have blood pressure issues but he won't give me an answer about diving. (Maybe because there isn't a lot of literature on the subject.) So thank you for your insights. M

Lynne, what would the potential symptoms be if it burst?

My concern as a chamber guy would be if the aneurysm burst could it be mistaken for an AGE?

If so the problem could be distinguishing between the two at the chamber, could cause a delay in (the correct) treatment if it presented similarly to AGE>

Yes, it could be mistaken -- as I recall, when Denton Byers died, there was some question about a bleed versus AGE in him.

Symptoms of aneurysmal bleed can range from a sudden, severe headache, to unconsciousness or even cardiac arrest. But many people carry small aneurysms their entire lives without symptoms or complications, which is why repair is not recommended for people in whom an aneurysm is an incidental finding.

There are just aren't any data to tell us whether diving affects an aneurysm. Except for the adrenaline possibilities, it shouldn't, but I can't tell you that for sure because nobody knows. It is true that if you have a bleed underwater, it's a bad place to have it happen; but aneurysmal bleeds are bad things, even if they happen in MacDonalds. I speak from experience.

Back
Top Bottom