Diving with menieres?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linedog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently dealing with my second bout of menieres, not nearly as bad as the first but I'm heading into week 3. It happened both times at night but I've heard that it can strike anytime. Am I in danger while I dive?

You are most definitely at risk - depending on a ton of things. I'm sending the link to this thread to my wife - suffering from Menieres for a long, long time. She will be happy to help you in dealing with the disease.

Thanks, I think.

Am I in danger while I dive?

Bummer, Linedog, but the answer to your question is "very probably yes."

To the best of my admittedly limited knowledge, it is the consensus of diving medicine experts that a bona fide diagnosis of significant Meniere's is an absolute contraindication to scuba. The unpredictable & without warning attacks of vertigo that occur with the disease simply pose too great a risk.

Of course, each case has it own specifics and the decision to dive should be arrived at by the affected individual & his or her ENT (preferably one with diving medicine experience). However, medical clearance seems uinlikely.

Here what DAN has to say: "Meniere's disease is a recurring group of symptoms, characterized by episodes of fullness in the ear, tinnitus (ringing), vertigo -- sometimes with nausea and vomiting -- and fluctuating hearing loss. The vertigo can occur without warning. If they occur underwater, it could lead to panic with possible uncontrolled ascent or drowning. Recurring episodes of vertigo from any cause should be a contraindication to diving.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Bummer Linedog. My Dad has had it for over 2 decades. In the beginning it was brutal and unpredictable wiping him out for 1-2 days at a time while he was drugged on anti-vert and sleeping.
What he discovered over time were his pre-symptoms so he could at least not be on the road (that happened his second episode, he pulled over and could bare use his cellphone).
Also, anecdotally (not medically supported), he discovered his triggers were salt imbalances. Chowing down on salty fries, a bag of chips (not in his usual diet) would lead to symptoms within the next day or two.
Knowing this he's now had less than a handful of episodes in the past 15 years but doesn't go anywhere without anti-vert meds.

duh…yes definitely.

Here is my wife's answer:
Having been diagnosed with Meniere’s Disease about 12 years ago, I can share my individual thoughts as from personal experience and research only, not as a medical authority. First of all, I am sorry to hear of your situation. I hope that you are in the care of an ENT with specialization and breadth of experience in treating Meniere’s. Not all ENT’s delve in to this area in depth. The guidance of your ENT is of greatest validity. Perhaps there is one who also has diving expertise. I saw a few before finding the one who has managed my situation long term. I was referred to him by several others with Meniere’s in my area (found via a local support group). Your ENT office may be able to get you in touch with support in your area.
I would comment that with Meniere’s, the use of salt is a known trigger of increased symptoms as well as fatigue, dehydration and at times pressure changes (in my case air pressure, but likely also those experienced during a dive). It would be worth determining whether contact with salt in sea water is strong enough to trigger an attack (on the mouthpiece, etc.) You likely have experienced, the episodes are extremely disorienting with inability to visually focus and are exacerbated by any movement of the head. Often repeated vomiting ensues (not a good idea, I have to suppose, below the surface with oxygen in place.) If you were to snorkel (with others) it would be easier to get attention and assistance if needed).
Each case of Meniere’s can have a different course of progression or remission and regular medical care is important. Other helpful sources of varying levels of knowledge are found on the internet.
Vestibular.org (probably the best resource online and in print for the public with medical and scientific advisors who are key leaders in the field of vestibular medicine and research.
Mdjunction.com (lay forum)
Menieres.org (lay forum)
Numerous sites with suggestions and guidelines for low salt management.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom