Diving with Labyrinthitis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been recently diagnosed with Labyrinthitis and would like to know if I can dive with it? The doctor says it takes 2weeks to months for the virus to clear. But if I am not experiencing the symptoms, would it be feasible to dive?

I have a trip to the Maldives in mid April...

thx

I have been recently diagnosed with Labyrinthitis and would like to know if I can dive with it? The doctor says it takes 2weeks to months for the virus to clear. But if I am not experiencing the symptoms, would it be feasible to dive?

I have a trip to the Maldives in mid April...

thx

Hi, jeanieyork!

Sounds like a fun trip...

Labyrinthitis is a clinical diagnosis (that is, it is a diagnosis generally made by the history and symptoms, not by a specific test). While it is true that an MRI may show brainstem inflammation during labrynthitis if other parts of the central nervous system are involved, and that balance testing (ENG, tilt table, etc..) may be abnormal as well, these are rarely done for acute episodes.

While I definitely cannot "clear" you to dive over the Internet, or even offer a diagnosis, I can sometimes help people understand terminology. Can you tell me what you mean when you say that you were diagnosed without symptoms?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom