Diving with Ear Problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Phish

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks, new to the board. I did a search on the net as well as the forum on ear problems and got a bunch of good info. Thing is, today I am to have my last class and do my cert dives tomorrow and sunday. After diving last night (sinking to the bottom of an 8foot pool like a rock) I came out of the pool at the end of the night feeling like I had a ton of water in my right ear. My instructor says it's barotrauma but I don't believe him and continue to just think it's water. An hour later (round 10pn or so) I can't even feel that there is anything in my ear. During the course of the day, I can only feel something in there if I really concentrate, with most times not even being able to feel anything at all. I have been practicing clearing my ears all day.

My question is, should I cancel tonights class and my cert dives for the weekend? The last thing I want to do is hurt myself permanently, but for the most part I no longer have the feeling that there is even anything in my ears anymore except if I really put some effort into it.

Originally posted by Just Phish
My instructor says it's barotrauma but I don't believe him and continue to just think it's water.

Howdy Just Phish:

Dunno why, but I'm reminded of the scene in the movie "The Man With Two Brains" where Steve Martin asks the portrait of his dead wife to give him a sign whether he should marry Kathleen Turner. While Steve Martin stares blankly at her picture the portrait starts spinning and screaming "NO NO!", the building shakes, furniture flys around the room, walls fall down, etc. When the tumult stops he says, "Any kind of sign will do".

In all your reading you've probably seen where middle ear barotrauma is probably the most common dive related injury. It frequently feels like water in the ear. It can be mild and self limiting, but it can also be severe and permanently disabling. Of course, actually having water in your ear will feel like having water in your ear too, but I have stared at my computer screen for hours now, I've adjusted the screen resolution, I've even changed fonts, but I just can't see into your ears. (grin) If symptoms of water in the ears is just caused by water in the ear canal with no other problem, it's fine to continue diving. If the symptoms are from barotrauma, it isn't OK to dive. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell the difference over the Internet.

Sorry to not be of more help,

Bill

The above is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

Thanks for the try. I asked the question because nothing in all the lit. I ran across really explained what could happen if you have barotrauma and dove again anyway.

I ended up going to class and did just fine though I was extremely apprehensive at first. I went down on my own, took my time, and basically cleared the entire way down and I felt much better than the night before.

Only thing that sucks is now my cert dives are put off a week cause the instructor sliced his hand open and now has stitches. Oh well, no reason to hurt himself getting me and my buiddy certified.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Just Phish
I asked the question because nothing in all the lit. I ran across really explained what could happen if you have barotrauma and dove again anyway.

Hey JP:

Glad your class went well! Barotrauma is a mechanical injury to the tissues. When tissue is injured it often swells. Theoretically, when the small and delicate tissues of the ear are already injured, they are predisposed to further injury, and when the small spaces of the ear are swollen they're that much harder to clear. Presumably the factor that caused the barotrauma in the first place (anatomy, congestion, technique, etc.) is still present, and now the diver is even more prone to injury, so I think most divers would recommend against further diving until the effects (and cause) of an ear barotrauma injury resolve. A diver isn't doomed to further injury if they continue to dive with an injury, but it's probably not the wisest course.

Keep us posted on how your classes go, and welcome to Scubaboard!

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom