diving with cameras in Andaman Islands.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abyss queen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Mates!

We are planning a trip to Andaman and Similan islands and any advice or tip would be a great help.
First season wise, when is the best time to dive in Andaman?
Or maybe even being more specific, is it worth it if we can only dive in the beginning of the season, let's say, October?
We are diving with to big ass cameras, where is be the best dive club for us?
I need an operator with big boats, is that even possible?
Also, is there a way to get from Andaman to Similan (Thailand) directly?
Maybe liveaboard or something like that?
Feel so stupid to go all the way back to India, fly to Bangkok and sail to the Similans when it is actually so close!

:confused:

tnx!!

Seasonwise: November to May for the Similans. For the Andamans, it's my understanding that if you travel to Port Blair from India, you can dive year round, though the summer months are wettest.

Liveaboard boats to the Andamans depart from and return to Thailand (Andaman trips are sandwiched between Thailand trips). However only a few operators offer them, and they are sporadic (a few trips per season only). These liveaboards typically make the long trip out when the water is flattest, so from December to mid-April would be your best window. October is not going to work in terms of a Thailand-based liveaboard to the Andamans.

If you would like to dive both the Similans and the Andamans in one trip without flying into and out of a bunch of airports in between, I would suggest getting back-to-back trips on a liveaboard that does both itineraries. In other words, you get a Similans trip either immediately before or immediately after the Andamans trip. This is quite doable, though there are very few options for dates.

Helpful?

Last edited:
Hi Mate,

Just to give you an idea of which liveaboard boats are making trips to Andaman Islands - departures from Port Blair. March would be your best month.

There are a couple of trips to the Andaman Islands on MV Mermaid I during March 2011. She departs from Port Blair - you can fly from Bangkok.

SY Siren - a stunning 34 metre gaft-rigged Phinisi - is making trips from February to April 2011. She too departs from Port Blair.

MV Panunee will be making trips in March and April departing from Port Blair. Good for camera buffs.

I would book your trip soon as some of these trips are already fully booked.

Happy diving.

In fact it is possible to do back to back trips departing from Thailand. I have arranged this in the past. The passage from Thailand to Port Blair is 36 hours, and generally there is only crew on board since it's unusual for anyone to want to do two trips like this. In addition, passengers need to stay in Port Blair at a hotel for a couple of days while the boat takes on provisions, fuel, and is prepared for new guests. The savings in air fare is substantial. You would have to leave for your next destination out of Port Blair, though.

Hi all

Thanks for the info!!
We are going to stay in Andaman for a bout 1 month, so we will have lot's for time to try everything.
We decided to fly from Calcutta around October and hope it won't rain to much!!
I will keep you guys posted as soon as I actually have tickets.
Quero, that's great news, thanks for this info. I will PM you soooooon...........'

We are going to stay in Andaman for about 1 month, so we will have lot's for time to try everything.

I guess you will be staying on Havelock Island? And do day trip diving?

The highlights of the Andaman Islands are Barren Island and Narcondam Island. October is not a great month to visit those far away islands and I doubt you will be able to get there.

Choose wisely and rethink your travel plans.

Going half-way around the world and missing out on these sites would be a crying shame!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom