Diving with Brasilian Navy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crawl79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This past weekend while waiting dockside in Araial do Cabo I had the chance to meet an ex Brasil Marinha Officer who was giving training for underwater explosives search to a group of Marinha divers called the DAE. I invited him to dinner on the ship and gave him a tour of our AUV. After he invited me to dive with them the next morning. That night they would be doing a trianing dive under our ship but the next morning they were going offshore for some fun dives. I excepted since I was waiting for a part that would not be in for a few days.
The next morning I arrived to the best day weather wise in a week. I boarded the Navy boat and we were off, we ended up about a mile from dock and I could still see my survey ship so I felt good. Was a tough dive for me since I was diving with Navy divers. Instead of taking the Zodiak we went for a 150m swim before going down in strong current but as soon as was down I was greeted with large schools of big fish. We were diving next to rock wall from the island near the sands edge. Depths were 30 to 55ft. I saw for the first time 3 different flying gunards while swimming into the swift current. A total of 5 different small turtles. And many other fishes that I have and have not seen diving in the GOM and the Carribean. After the dive we surfaced blew a whiltle and were picked up by Zodiac for transport back to the ship. This was a trip of a lifetime and I thank all the crew and my new friends who in their best English and my worst Portuguese became my friends, diving is definetly a family sport.

Eric Quirk
AUV Field Project Manager

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom