Diving with a heart problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikos2404

New
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm fairly new here and I was just curious about a specific detail when it comes to diving. I was born with a heart problem (TGA, Senning procedure).. I am now 23 years old and I do regular exercise and I am considerably fit. I also eat healthy food as much as possible and I enjoy swimming. But of course diving is a completely different thing. So if there are any experts or doctors here who know a thing or two about people w/heart problems and diving, I'd just like to know if its safe to dive with my condition? Is there a restriction? Or is it absolutely forbidden? Please let me know, I'd appreciate it.

All the best

Well, as with any diver, or any fitness, physique, psychological makeup ( :) ), experience level, confidence in the water or health-

Dive at your own risk.

Unless somebody here can tell you that it's prohibited, I'd say the right question would be "can someone recommend a doctor in my area who's familiar with dive medicine"? And then you can make an appointment, and bring along the medical form for the agency you're looking at. The PADI medical form, at least, has a considerable amount of doctor-to-doctor information on it.

http://downunderscuba.com/common/pdfs/medical.pdf << The PADI form

Manila's a big city, so you should be able to find a doctor who's familiar with dive medicine there.

Even if you are not a member, you can ask this question to the Divers Alert Network (DAN) and get some help. In the meantime, I am going to move this thread to the Diving Medicine section. ScubaBoard has several physicians on the staff who monitor that forum regularly.

Nikos,

Since transposition of the great arteries can involve a variety of other cardiac abnormalities like ventricular septal defect and abnormal coronary artery anatomy and you haven't provided details as to your condition and specific repairs, this is a tough question to answer. Even with those details it wouldn't be prudent to give you a definitive "yes" or "no" over the internet.

The fact that you swim for exercise indicates that your heart can tolerate the fluid redistribution that occurs with immersion, which is a positive sign. If your cardiac function and exercise tolerance are completely normal, chances are that you'll be fine to dive, but I recommend that you see a diving physician. I can PM you contact info for one in Manila if you'd like. DevonDiver is a British expat living in the P.I. and he might have some additional contacts. He's a standup guy and I'm sure he'd be happy to correspond with you via PM.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom