Diving with a fill adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just curious....has anyone dived using a tank with din valve, din to yoke fill adapter and yoke first stage?

Din to yoke adapters are meant for filling only due to the possible pressures involved, especially with 3500 PSI rated tanks. They're usually cumbersome and it wouldn't be possible to mount a first stage to them.

If you have a 3442 PSI rated valve, it'll usually have a doughnut insert that you can put into it to convert it to yoke.

On a 300 bar valve the doughnut insert isn't long enough. A fill adapter could work (I've done it before with a first yoke first stage attached to the adapter) however it's a bad idea as it introduces another failure point.

From the DIN->Yoke filling adapters I've seen (and the one I have, which seems typical), your regulator would end up shifted 90 degrees vertically, with either your regulator or the yoke knob extending far above your tank, and the hoses going god knows where.

I've wondered the same, but I wouldn't actually do it...

-B

Probably be safer and work better to just shave the face of the valve about 2 threads and use a 200 bar din insert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get a yoke insert and screw it into the Din tank making it a yoke tank.

I had a DIN-to-yoke fill adapter that I used, as I remember, for a week's worth of dives in France in 1991. They only had DIN valves, and my wife and I had yoke regulators.

It worked, thought the regulator geometry was indeed thrown off by 90 degrees.

Older and hopefully wiser, I wouldn't do it now. Besides the geometry issue, the fill adapter is much less robust than an actual valve -- I'd worry about bending or breaking it, with interesting results.

On the other hand, not all 232-bar DIN valves accept the "doughnut" insert adapter -- or rather, not all have the corresponding dimple on the other side for your yoke handwheel screw.

Best bet would be to get a proper DIN fitting for your regulator for about $50. But that assumes you're regularly going to be diving DIN.

The tanks I was thinking about doing this to are LP 72's.
I doubled them up but the valves are mismatched.
One is rated to 3000, the other to 3442.
I only have one din reg and its a shorter 5 thread that's not long enough for the 3442 rated valve.
The valve itself (3442) is too long to accept either a threaded insert or a yoke first stage.
If I want to dive this set up, I need a 300 bar din first stage.
Not something I really want to invest in new since I'm only doing this to cross it off my diving bucket list.

Usually 3442 psi is the 5 thread din ("200 bar") and you don't see 7 thread ("300 bar") until you get a rating of 3500 psi.

It's possible that it's a 3500 psi valve but I'm pretty sure it's a 3442. Either way, the din first stage I have is too short and the valve is too long to accept a yoke first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom