Diving while on medication after supercoronary graft transplant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't always seen cardiac rehab in the bypass patient. If the patient didn't have an actual MI they are sometimes not given cardiac rehab. I guess it depends on the patient and the doctor. Also, I think cardiac rehab is done less often nowadays, probably a cost savings issue.

It probably depends a lot on the organization and the facility as well, as my experience has been different. Our cardiac rehab program:

Helping People Improve Their Heart Health - Duke Heart Center - DukeHealth.org

I'm concerned about the history of stroke and low INR -- is she still in an abnormal heart rhythm?

This is a complicated story, especially if you introduce the idea of anaphylaxis into it, and I think more investigation needs to be done into what happened and why, before any major risks are taken.

Heart rythm is stable(70_85),and she quit the warfarin monday. We're both monitoring bloodpressures daily.... The allergy tests are done,and no furthr tests are planned. It may be that the symptoms is a bit similiar(itching inside hands,feet,joints) .when this happened early june, thr doctors/surgeons said she suffered a stroke because a small bit of clot was carried to the brain. The ultra sound showed a big trombosis(?) Over her heart, you could actually see it waver in the bloodstream. The surgeons at the university hospital never considered any allergies,but the local hospital seemed almost obsessed with this as a solution....but all tests are negative. They just believe she should take allergic meds just in case....
Well, there doctors and doctors....
She will not be diving in Malta, after all valuable info we have got in the forum!
And, the local docs here don't have access to threadmills,etc.
But I'll ask the doc(specializing in sport injuries) I visited monday, as he wanted a new appointment to check my shoulder(a miracle doc,could raise my left arm over my head 30 minutes after,after a cortison shot gone wrong 3 weeks ago:) He seems to know what he's doing.......

I agree with all the posts above. I think 3 months post-bypass sounds a little soon to be diving unless your wife was in outstanding physical condition before the surgery and is now back to her usual activities without restrictions and has shown good exercise tolerance on treadmill testing with no evidence of a limitation of blood flow to the heart.

To answer the post above, cardiac rehab in the USA is "approved" for patients who have suffered a heart attack, have undergone PCI (angioplasty or stenting, etc), or have undergone coronary artery bypass grafting. Referral to cardiac rehab is a "class I" indication for these conditions according to the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association as there have been multiple studies showing its benefit. However, despite this, the referral to a formal cardiac rehab program is extemely variable around the country.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Just an update on how things are going...
We are now on holiday in Thailand, and my wife have done 5 dives from the beach without problems :) A bit shaky in the legs after the first dive, but our beloved Dive operator took care of carrying her rig.... On the last dive she carried everything both ways by herself. The dives are shallow, max 7-8 m, but very relaxing. On monday we will take an overnight boattrip to Phi-Phi islands,and try deeper dives. It will also be easier jumping from the boat instead of paddling 100 meters on the beach...
Heart rate & blood pressures are monitored/logged daily.....as usual I'm off my bloodpressure meds when on holiday :) My wife are on hers, cause she has not got her supposed 6months checkup yet.. Saw the local divedoctor before the dives,as the DC is very strict concerning her fitness(3rd year we're diving with them). Well, no rescue course for us this year :), but I was not counting on it either...maybe next year.
Happy diving!
Oh, and we will still takevit easy! No strong currents,deep dives, too many etc.,just what feels right.....

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom