Diving Whale Sharks Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
mridude

mridude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anybody know which operator in Isla Mujeres allows swimming in a wetsuit with the whale sharks without a life preserver? I saw a couple boats doing it when I was there snorkeling this weekend, but the boat I was on would not allow it.

My wife and I live in Puerto Morelos and did the whale shark dive three days ago. There were plenty of sharks but well over 100 bots all milling around and jockying trying to get their customers in the right spots to see the sharks.

I was talking a big game about ditching my life jacket and snorkling. But after seeing the mayhem of the boats...there is NO WAY I would jump in that water without a jacket. The boats can't see you well without one. And there are so many around, that if you did get hit by a boat, you would be in BIG trouble.

Of course, it is your call. But during peak tourist season with over 100 boats in the water in close proximity?

Blue H20 will let you in with a wetsuit. They don't recommend it though because of the boat traffic. Lifejacket does slow you down a little when you snorkel next to the sharks but not enough to matter. You'll have plenty of time to see the sharks and you definitely don't want to be run over by a boat.

I went with Blue H2o a few weeks ago and agree with Kyle. I had my wetsuit, but with so many boats, and choppy seas that day, I used a life jacket.

Back
Top Bottom