diving wet with twin steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ive read here that you should not dive wet and use steel tanks because if your wings fail you wont be able to swim your rig up. but what about if you dive with reel and a 125lb lift. can always use my lift bag like a back up wing to go up .
where am I going wrong here?

thnanks!!!

Miami_Diver:
Ive read here that you should not dive wet and use steel tanks because if your wings fail you wont be able to swim your rig up. but what about if you dive with reel and a 125lb lift bag like I do just in case I have to make deco stops with no anchor? I can always use my lift bag like a back up wing to go up .
where am I going wrong here?

thnanks!!!

I routinely dive wet with double steel tanks. I dive both in fresh water caves and in the open ocean. My solution to the problem is to use a dual bladder wing. If the primary air cell should fail the redundant one is immediately available for my use. I have never needed it and hope I never do.

Loss of lift is a very real problem. Your solution does address the problem but might not be the best solution available. If I were in an emergency situation and a lift bag was my only option I would not hesitate to use it. Remember that if you have a loss of lift it may be sudden, or it may be gradual. You may be just off the bottom or you may be in the water column. For me the lift bag takes a little time to deploy and is a little awkward, however in an emergency I would probably want to hold on to the lift bag or clip it to my harness so I could more easily control the amount of air in it since mine has a pull dump valve. If you have sent the bag to the surface you will not be able to add or remove air, and you will need to pull yourself up on some pretty thin line that may break or dig into your fingers.

At least you are thinking about the problem. Now think about what would really happen in many different situations with your solution. If you are comfortable with the ramifacations then you have made your choice. For me my choice was the redundant bladder.

Mark Vlahos

That would be a tough way to get back to the surface. Especially if you accidentally let go of the reel. Why would you not be able to swim your gear up?

I have a problem with wearing a dry suit when the water temp 87 88degrees in my last 2 dives here in florida.but I love the twinn e7 100s for doubles. I was going to get a Zeagle tech bc . do you know if this or any other good dual bladder bcs to recomend

Tom Winters:
That would be a tough way to get back to the surface. Especially if you accidentally let go of the reel. Why would you not be able to swim your gear up?

youre right!! just wondering why some people here make a big deal about it. I dont thing I would have any problem swimming my gear up .

by the way i just receive a pair of worthingtons 85 wich you rave about. the finish sure looks solid . I hope it lasts. had to convince my girl that they wouldnt explode in order to get them in the house.it took me about 20 min to convince her. she hates diving and thinks Im crazy.

Miami_Diver:
youre right!! just wondering why some people here make a big deal about it. I dont thing I would have any problem swimming my gear up .

by the way i just receive a pair of worthingtons 85 wich you rave about. the finish sure looks solid . I hope it lasts.

How about if you were a cold water diver with 30 some odd pounds of weight and your 7/7 wetsuit had lost most of it's bouyancy?

spectrum:
How about if you were a cold water diver with 30 some odd pounds of weight and your 7/7 wetsuit had lost most of it's bouyancy?

but I dont dive in cold water.

Ive been diving a lot of years and ive never used a dry suit . not interested at all it feels that Im not diving . .with dual bladder as a back up I think theres a way of diving wet with steel tanks.
thanks!!

Miami_Diver:
but I dont dive in cold water.

That may be but I think it's why some people do make a big deal out of it.

Pete

Miami_Diver:
youre right!! just wondering why some people here make a big deal about it. I dont thing I would have any problem swimming my gear up
How about you try it?

jonnythan:
How about you try it?
I will ,on my next dive. Im young and in shape so I dont think ill have any problems . the only reason Im even asking this is because I did a research here and suprisingly found some oppossition.

thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom