Diving w/kids in S. FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlennJ

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 12 year old that was certified earlier this year. We'll be with another family in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area (haven't nailed it down yet) in early Sept. who also has a 12 yr old diver.

As they are limited to 40', we were wondering if there were any boats that would accomodate the shallower requirement.

Thank you.

GlennJ:
Hi,

I have a 12 year old that was certified earlier this year. We'll be with another family in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area (haven't nailed it down yet) in early Sept. who also has a 12 yr old diver.

As they are limited to 40', we were wondering if there were any boats that would accomodate the shallower requirement.

Thank you.

Hi!
I dive with my kids, and Pompano is where I went when my daughter was under 12. We dove with South Florida Diving Headquarters. 1-800-771-DIVE We dove the Nursery and the Copenhagen. The Nursery is where they used to feed the nurse sharks. It's a very shallow and colorful dive. Most of my better pictures were taken there. I believe the max depth is 30' if you bring a shovel with you.
According to PADI standards, and 12 year old Jr OW is limited to 60' and Jr AOW is limited to 70'.
I'm currently teaching my 10 year old... so, I'll be spending a lot of time down there again.

Al
Melbourne, FL

You can always try to find a boat that will do a reef only dive at Key Largo, or you can do some beach diving, which is great fun - lots of sea life, shallow depths, good conditions. Just look under Private Trips for anything mentioning Datura, Hibiscus, Pompano, Dania Eurojacks, Yellow Brick Road, or Greene St. The local group dives those areas quite a bit, so you can have some adult company if you post a note in advance.

Swims average around 100 yards, but they're usually very easy, and everybody takes it nice and slow. On most of these sites, the reefs start around 14-16 ft, with a maximum depth of ~25 ft. We see nurse sharks, turtles, yellow and southern stingrays, spotted eagle rays, squid, lobster, and lots of other critters. The Datura site also has a mock Spanish shipwreck, complete with cannons, ballast pile and an anchor. My kids love it.

Here are some links:
http://www.fillexpress.com/library/datura.shtml
http://www.cyberscubadiver.com/sheridan.html

If you still are interested in boat diving, PM KeyLargoBrent, who's a DM with a boat in Key Largo. His boat, Silent World Dive Center, and Island Ventures, all in Key Largo, are probably your best bet in that area for a customized trip.

Good luck!
Grier

Scuba_Dad:
According to PADI standards, and 12 year old Jr OW is limited to 60' and Jr AOW is limited to 70'.
Al
Melbourne, FL
Thanks for the info. His instructor told him 40', and I found this on PADI's site:

A PADI Jr Open Water Diver between the ages of 10 and 12 years may only dive with a PADI Professional, a certified parent or certified guardian to a maximum depth of 12 metres/40 feet.

GlennJ:
Thanks for the info. His instructor told him 40', and I found this on PADI's site:

A PADI Jr Open Water Diver between the ages of 10 and 12 years may only dive with a PADI Professional, a certified parent or certified guardian to a maximum depth of 12 metres/40 feet.

I just checked the Standard's section of my PADI Instructor Manual, and here's what I pulled out of it...

• Certification dives for 10 and 11-year-olds must not exceed 12
metres/40 feet.
• After certification, a 10 or 11-year-old Junior Scuba Diver must
dive with a PADI Professional. Dives must not exceed 12
metres/40 feet.
• After certification, a 10 or 11-year-old Junior Open Water Diver
must dive with a parent, guardian or PADI Professional. Dives
must not exceed 12 metres/40 feet.

Also, if you look on the back (or you can call it the front) of his card, and it states:

"10-11 With Parent/PADI Pro 12m/40'"

Under that it states: "12+ With Adult"

So, if he's 12... he's OK to 60 as an OW diver.

I just took a look at the PADI web site, and the statement is deceiving... A PADI Jr Open Water Diver between the ages of 10 and 12 years may only dive with a PADI Professional, a certified parent or certified guardian to a maximum depth of 12 metres/40 feet.

I hope this clarifies it.

Al
PADI OWSI #183652

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom