Diving vacation, Cayman or Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeff_ca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm going on 7-days vacation to Carribean in Feb/March,2009. I'm thinking about two places, Cayman and Belize. But only have time to go to one place, so feel difficult to choose one of them. Can you help me make that decision? Which one is better, IN your opinion?

Last edited:
better for what? What are you looking for.

I dove Belize on the Belize Aggressor in November 2007 and dove Cayman's on the Cayman Aggressor in September, during Hurricane Ike. I loved Belize. Thought it was much more colorful. Cayman was okay, not great, but you must consider we didn't get to Little Cayman due to the storm and water conditions weren't the best. I've heard Bloody Bay Wall on LC is awesome. We will be going back to Belize in June 2009 because I enjoyed it much more, great walls. I can't comment on Resorts or the like because I am spoiled and just love liveaboards.

My Vote Belize.

Jim

For the Caymans use a live aboard. I used Cayman Agressor and was very pleased. We spent most of the time at Little Cayman around Bloody Bay Wall, but also the West Wall, off Seven Mile Beach, Tarpon Alley, and Stingray City on Grand Cayman, and a few dives off Brac including the Russian frigate. I was only at Ambergris Caye off Belize. The reef there was "fingers" a few feet apart with a ray or a skate on the bottom between them. But, Oddly, not many fish except at the Reserve. Stayed at Ramon's Village. I understand all the cabins have A/C now which is a must with the mosquitos.

Cayman is one of the most developed places in the Caribbean, and one of the most expensive. The resorts/hotels and dive shops will also be more expensive.

The diving there is good, with very clear water and walls, and health reef, marine life, etc.

Belize city is not very good, and crime ridden. You'd want to stay in one of the cays, such as Ambergris Cay, or Turneoff. The Blue Hole in Belize is famous. The water is also clear, and reef very good. I dove from Ambergris Cay, and it was pretty good, with lots of soft corals, fans, rods, but not overly colorful.

Another possibility is to do a W. Caribbean cruise. Some cruises would do 4 ports, such as Cayman, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya or Roatan. All very good diving ports. If you start from Tampa, you can also go north a bit to snorkel with manatees, and drift at Rainbow River.

Cayman is one of the most developed places in the Caribbean, and one of the most expensive. The resorts/hotels and dive shops will also be more expensive.

Clarification of the above post......GRAND CAYMAN is one of the most developed places in the Caribbean.

Cayman Brac and Little Cayman are NOT.

Turneffe Island Lodge in Belize is first rate....take a look at them.

I've been to Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, Little Cayman, and Turneffe Atoll. The diving was the best on Little Cayman, far superior to Brac and Grand. But Turneffe is a close second when conditions are ideal.

Well I like both quite a bit, so it really depends what you are looking for and maybe your budget.
And it can be a very different trip depending where you stay in Belize, and where you stay in Cayman.

Pretty much no one stays in Belize City as a tourist and dives from there, not least not if they have done their research. Ambergris Cay is pretty popular and probably gets the most people, but the best diving is out on the atolls. I'd say the best way to do it is by liveaboard, although there are also a variety of small resorts out on some of the atolls that may suit you. Southern Belize like the Placencia area is another area you can find resorts and diving, though would not be my first choice.

Lots of people think of Cayman as overdeveloped which is true for the western end, which has been heavily dove as well. But you can stay in other areas of the island or the sister islands (depending how they come through the current hurricane) and have a laid back visit with great diving. Liveaboard is also an option here that some like, though we've never done that because we like Cayman landside.

Clarification of the above post......GRAND CAYMAN is one of the most developed places in the Caribbean.

Cayman Brac and Little Cayman are NOT.
Yap you're quite right. Thanks for the clarification.

On some winter days, Grand Cayman can have 11 cruise ships visiting. That would make the cruise terminal area and west side of the island VERY busy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom