Diving two days before colonoscopy okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm scheduled for a routine colonoscopy on Monday. Is it safe to make two shallow (less than 20 feet) dives on Saturday? Starting Sunday AM I can only have clear liquids, and the prep will start at 4 PM.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Given a healthy and fit individual, a couple of easy dives two days prior to a routine colonoscopy should not be of concern.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thanks, DocVikingo.

Not a doc so this isn't medical advice. I dove a couple of days prior to my colonoscopy. No problem. Wouldn't have wanted to try the the day before after starting the prep:D
The prep is the worst part. I do not remember the actual colonoscopy. Aren't some drugs nice.:D

As Doc Vikingo said, two days before is no issue. The clear liquids can make it hard to get enough calories to do much in the way of exercising, so I wouldn't recommend diving the day before, and the day of and after would probably be a bad idea because of the dehydration (and electrolyte disturbances sometimes) that occur as a result of the prep.

Beware that "GoLytely" stuff. Hang out at home...near the bathroom...very near the bathroom.
Saturday Night Live could easily make a commercial for that product. :D
Good times...

Diveprof, I'm glad there will be drugs. :D

TS&M, the only thing I plan to exercise the day before is my crankiness!

Bubbletrubble, I've heard stories. Now I get to live it. :shocked2:

Beware that "GoLytely" stuff. Hang out at home...near the bathroom...very near the bathroom.
Saturday Night Live could easily make a commercial for that product. :D
Good times...
Is that the gallon jug with power they have you fill up at home and then drink all of it? If so, make sure you have a private and dedicated bathroom of your own! :eek:

I found my old experience that I shared on this. Might be good for a laugh: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...colon-scope-piece-cake-pass-along-anyone.html I want the virtual exam if ever again tho.

Thanks for the link, Don.

Due to my illness I have scopes done every 2-5 years (depends on the condition). I found out that I can't handle that powder crap they give you. So I start a bit earlier and use Donat MG (Parthenon Foods - Donat Mg Mineral Water, 1L (with Mg particles)) to clean myself.

I use about 4 bottles and drink them warm. Works for me and tastes a hell of a lot better than whatever the powder/drink they give you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom