Diving Thursday 5/1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbianchi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone up for a mid morning dive or two?

I have to work a funky shift so I suppose any time before say noon would be great!

I just got back from the Breakwater and it looked horrible. Tale is that viz is 1/2 to 1 foot, with strong surge, to boot. The waves were spraying over the Breakwater at 6 p.m.

My instructor canceled our specialty dives tomorrow, as conditions are expected to get worse.

However, I'm down here,with all my gear and all day free, ao IF there's a place we can dive tomorrow, I'll be up for it.

Thats not good news. The forecast almost makes it look like the opposite. I guess ill have to check things out in the morning and go from there. I have your number so ill give you a call, when will you be up for the day?

I'll be up at 7 a.m. Feel free to call me on my cell.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Dunno what forecast you were looking at, Brandon, but here's this morning's 3 am forecast

.TODAY...NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT.
NW SWELL 8 TO 10 FT AT 11 SECONDS.

That's over my maximums. Tomorrow's forecast:

.THU...NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 4 FT. NW SWELL 8 TO
10 FT AT 11 SECONDS.

About the same.

Mr. Tribolet:

Any forecasts or prognostications about dive conditions here on either Friday or Saturday?

Thanks.

- One very, very frustrated Fisheater

Puhleeuze, "Mister" was my father's first name. ;-)

It's not rocket science. I look at the offshore forecast, PIGEON POINT TO POINT PINOS TO 20 NM-, at http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mtr/getcwfzone.php?sid=MTR&zone=PZ560.

.FRI...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AT 10 SECONDS.
.FRI NIGHT...NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT.
NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT.
.SAT...NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT.
NW SWELL 7 TO 9 FT.

If it's a NW swell, and over 8 feet, I stay home. If it's a W swell, and over 10 feet, I
stay home. If the wind is over 25 knots, I stay home. So I'd go either day (7 to 9 feet on Saturday averages to 8), but probably not Monastery.

Individual divers should develop their own thresholds.
Beach divers might have a higher wind threshold, somebody with smaller boat than
mine might have a lower wind threshold. I'm a photographer, and bad surge makes
photo hard. A sightseeing diver might consider it an e-ticket ride.

I don't make a no-go decision until the 3 pm forecast the day before.
I don't make a go decision until the 3 am forecast the day of.

so this makes me ask.... CT- when there's been rough conditions, approximately how many days does it take for the sediment and gunk to settle in the water column? Especially with respects to shore diving. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. It's VERY helpful.

Back
Top Bottom