Diving this Summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sb_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting family and friends in Europe this summer and wanted to sneak some dive gear over with me and get some dives in. I'm going to be there probably from the beginning of July through September, anyone have any good recommendations? My family is in Belgium but I'm going to be getting a rail pass so I can go exploring. I've only really been around France, Belgium and Germany and would like to see some more of Europe and go dive too. I haven't started researching diving yet, but thought this might be a good place to start. Oh and if you know of any cheap.. inexpensive.. places to stay too that'd be cool. I'm hoping to maybe dive with some Scubaboarders if possible, as I've had some great dives with the Scubaboard divers in my home waters of California

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thomas

sb_diver:
I'm going to be visiting family and friends in Europe this summer and wanted to sneak some dive gear over with me and get some dives in. I'm going to be there probably from the beginning of July through September, anyone have any good recommendations? My family is in Belgium but I'm going to be getting a rail pass so I can go exploring. I've only really been around France, Belgium and Germany and would like to see some more of Europe and go dive too. I haven't started researching diving yet, but thought this might be a good place to start. Oh and if you know of any cheap.. inexpensive.. places to stay too that'd be cool. I'm hoping to maybe dive with some Scubaboarders if possible, as I've had some great dives with the Scubaboard divers in my home waters of California

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thomas
From what I've heard it is fantastic and not expensive at all. A few posters here have commented, there are some good wrecks and the visibility seems pretty good. Topside accommodations though, it sounds very appealing. Sorry I can't be more specific, I've never been there.
Anyway for Mediterranean scuba diving in the summer you'll be fine with a 5 mm (with hood).

Croatia is good though a fair trip from Belgium! Consider also diving in the UK. If your rail pass allows then the west of Scotland is very good as is western Ireland. There is very good diving in Baltimore, Cork and cheap digs there too (Rolf's Hostel).

If you visit France you need a diving medical of less than a year old. This is French law. Also unless your dive cert is CMAS or has CMAS equivalence be prepared for shallow guided dives only. Marselle and east of it are good and Adge westward. The north coast has some great WW2 wrecks from D Day.

Spain has some good spots and is not overly expensive. Try Iles Medes near Estartit. (no medicals for Spain and PADI OK).

Norway is fantastic but expensive.

The Med is warm, North Sea and Channel cold - drysuit cold. Atlantic usually needs drysuit too.

Mainland Europe is on holiday in August so prices are at their peak everywhere. Advance booking is a good idea too. I would be inclined to do the UK/Ireland in August and the mainland before/after.

Chris

chrisch:
If your rail pass allows then the west of Scotland is very good as is western Ireland. There is very good diving in Baltimore, Cork and cheap digs there too (Rolf's Hostel).

I would be inclined to do the UK/Ireland in August and the mainland before/after.

Chris

I'd second this. Without a doubt (though I'm somewhat biased) try the West of Ireland if you can. You can get a ferry from France (Cherbourg I think) to Rosslare and make your way round the South coast staying in plenty of inexpensive motels or B&B's. You could try some amazing dives of Baltimore (The Kowloon Bridge or Fastnet Lighthouse) and work your way round to Killary Harbour, even Donegal if you can make it that far, but there is plenty of opportunity that you will definitely enjoy! The National Geographic did a short clip on Ireland that was posted here before, but you will find it here.

I've also heard great reports on Malta, especially Gozo, of which there should be a number of threads on the board.

If I can help any further on Irish diving or that PM me.

Good luck and enjoy wherever you go!

plongeursousmarin:
Anyway for Mediterranean scuba diving in the summer you'll be fine with a 5 mm (with hood).

Can someone comment on this ? 5 mm seems a bit thick for the Med. I don't really know of course.

beansed:
Can someone comment on this ? 5 mm seems a bit thick for the Med. I don't really know of course.
I can comment on this, I was born there, I was certified there and I still go back every couple of years. If you dive deeper than 60 feet, you will hit some thermoclines that your 3 mil will not be sufficient for. The water at the surface may be 25-26° centigrades, but below it's not the same story. However feel free to dive in your speedo if you don't believe me. :D

beansed:

The water at surface is 23-25° centigrades these days but at 20-30m it's 16-18°. Last weekend the water was 9° at 55m - I was in dry suit.

Back
Top Bottom