Diving the Skellig - Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amyx1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,

I'm looking for a little information as I plan a trip to Ireland/England. My husband and I are planning a trip for sometime between mid-May to mid-June, but we're planning it as mostly hiking/sightseeing tour and not a dive one. I was told I must check out the Skellig and in my readings it seems that diving is an option there. Would anyone be able to give me a little more information? Are there full equipment rentals available? Dry suits necessary? A "must do" dive experience? I'm not finding too much detailed information on the sites I've seen, so I thought someone might be able to clue me in so we can plan accordingly.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what the degree of difficulty on a Skellig dive would be - both my husband and I are PADI AOW and Nitrox, but have done most of our diving in relatively calm waters and no farther than about 65 ft.

Thanks so much!

Amy

Hi Amy,

I don't know much about the Skelligs themeselves in terms of diving facilities though I have heard they make a great dive, as does most areas on the West Coast. You could try John in www.islandswest.ie for diving around the Aran Islands. He is vastly experienced with two new centres offshore boat and loads of local knowledge.

As for diving in general, you're talking 14-17 degrees C diving at that time of year so perfect for 7mm semi dry. Visibility on the West Coast is better than the East, you'd be talking 15-30m +. It can get deep on the west so just check with the centre, again I'm not sure about the Skelligs. And it can get lumpy but you should avoid the winds at that time of the year!

Hope that helps somewhat and if there's anything else I can do PM me.

Subaquaman,

Thank you so much for the information - it's really helpful. I will take a look at islandswest.ie for more information. 14 - 17 degrees C seems great. I've done some Midwestern USA diving in 4 degrees C water with just my plain, 'ol 5 mm!

My mother keeps telling me that I must see the Skelligs so when I checked out a few web sites and realized that I could "see the Skelligs" with a regulator and fins, I was pretty excited!

Amy

Hi,

As part of the local dive club in Kerry, the Skelligs are in our backyard. Have been diving there since the eighties!

Yes, it's worth diving there. The Small Skellig has the better diving, but topside on the Great Skellig is a must-see. Some climb though, nearly 700ft to the monk's beehive huts.

As Subaquaman has said, temps in May/June should be around 14degs C. I'm afraid you will have to wait until September to find water 17 degsC. The visibility in May/June will depend on the weather, too warm could mean a plankton bloom.

There is a Dive Centre on Valentia Island (Google Valentia watersports), for rented equipment, and you can get boat trips to climb the GT. Skellig from there as well. You can take the car ferry from near Caherciveen and you will land exactly one minute from the centre.

We usually dive in drysuits, but 7mm wetsuits will be fine too.

Might see you out there!!

Seadeuce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom