Diving the "Needle" south of Pt Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sunday was an awesome day of diving. This was Dive 1 of the day. I don’t have any video of Dive 2 as I just wanted to dive and enjoy the other site. The viz was even better on Dive 2.

YouTube - Point Lobos - The Needle Dive

The day started with Dave boating from K Dock and arriving at Whaler’s Cove, Point Lobos discovering that his motor was low on oil. Since I was still on land it was my task to procure the needed supplies. After approaching everyone in the Whaler’s Cove parking lot for oil and discovering that divers don't carry extra motor oil, it was off to Safeway to get oil. Being fully dressed in my drysuit netted some interesting, yet puzzled looks. ;-)

With oil in the motor, we quickly motored north out of the cove, then westerly to our dive destination, the “Needle.” We geared up in hopeful anticipation as the almost azure seas beckoned us to discover what diving would be like this day. Having my big video rig and also being the only diver on the boat with doubles I got in first, then Dave. We gently descended down the currentless anchor line into blue water and at least 50' of visibility. Dave led with me following doing video. Dave would stop periodically to show me something cool. The dive was serene with us swimming quite a bit. I'm no longer used to traveling so much underwater by lower appendage propulsion. I think dave would love scootering as he loves to travel distances underwater. I'm very partial to motorized vehicles. ;-)

The Needle was easy to navigate as it’s just one large structure and we swam about the various crevices and had a nice relaxing dive. Finally at one point, I just put away the video camera and enjoyed the dive.

Ascending up the anchor line was a treat with various jellies visiting us. With hardly any current, we met up with our other diving buddies on the ascent. Dan was diving with Lauren

Max depth 105', 50 minutes, 46 degrees.

With a nice surface interval in the parking lot, Dive 2 of the day was at "Thumbs Up." I put the video camera away to just enjoy the dive and was amply rewarded. The visibility was even better at up to 70 feet! I still can't tell what pinnacle was Thumbs Up as there were several. On this dive we traveled, swimming and swimming pinnacle after pinnacle, making a circular pattern getting back pretty close to the boat. It was so pretty out there and reminded me of why I love diving.

What an awesome day! "Diving is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

Speaking of getting, the day ended up a little different than anticipated. While Dave let us off at Pt Lobos, we soon got the call that he and Dan were stranded off of Monastery Beach and were adrift. It took awhile but Dave got towed back a few hours later. In the meantime we were forced to have a long leisurely dinner, talking about diving, and geting in some shopping in Monterey. Late, but all were safe!

Dive: 100’, 50 minutes, 47 degrees F, viz 70’

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom