Diving the GC Seaway 24/5/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, we dived it but aborted after 7 mins. It was filthy. When we first looked it seemed reasonable. We geared up and walked out the wall and entered the water. The viz had got much worse. Later after lunch we looked and clean water was now coming in. We should have waited till much closer to high tide to enter, but previously we had dived at about the same time and had a nice dive.

When I looked at the tide times, I didn't bother going down to the seaway(nite dives basically, for mine I rather nite dive from a boat it's safer/easier then that slimey seaway pipe) and my wifey was working on sunday. I really did want to meet up with both of you and the repair man- knowing how dive sick both of you guys are.

Runout tide is a waste of time at the poop pipe - 30minutes after the top of the tide(like 6 am on last sunday) they start running out sewer from the pipe, The Northerly(NE) winds all the last week stirs krap up too, this coupled with the new moon 3 days away gave you your bad result. You either had to be diving at like 4.30am or 5pm to get a good dive done.

Let me know next time your up a few days before you here and I drag you out in the Mustang for a dive at Flinders reef- be the best site in SEQ true. Shore diving as you already know is terrible here, the seascapes are very shallow and ordinary, good for horrible stonefish and all the pipefish have been scooped up by those selfish marine collectors, lucky if you sight a robust pipefish nowadays- Sydney kills here for shore dives!

A lot of good info in here! I'm new to the Gold Coast. So I don't know anything about diving here. That said, if anyone is looking for buddy let me know!

Also keen on hiking and free-diving (stage A certified)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom