Diving St. Lucia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone had any experience diving St. Lucia? I was told by a friend that it's good, but I know nothing about the place. Any suggestions on where to stay, dive shops, sites?
I'd be looking for something comfortable but not luxurious - something affordable for the average Joe. We're not into night life (hubby and me - in the 50+ group) but enjoy being near a town with restaurants and shops to browse. Pretty much we dive and read and rest and eat. My kind of vacation!

Thanks for any input.

Happy 4th (if you're from the states.)

The diving was better than Jamaica but not as good as Cozumel or Grand Cayman. Stayed and dove with Sandals Halcyon. Nice resort but less than optimal dive situation. Typical resort dives- very conservative. My favorite dive was the Lesleen M wreck. There were some nice little walls but nothing like Cayman.

The better dive sites seem to be on the south west corner of the island by Soufiere. There are many resorts in all price ranges. The larger ones are father up the coast and many are not near towns so you can be isolated. The Island is very mountainous so something on the map may seem close but can be very hard to get to.

Can't recommend a dive op but there are plenty. Some resorts have them on site.

It's a beautiful Island with lots to do topside. If you've been to Yellowstone, skip the volcano tour though.

My experience with St. Lucia is included in this link: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/343164-saint-lucia-september.html

I would search the Lesser Antilles forum for St. Lucia and look for my and others comments in them related to specific St. Lucia questions. There have not been many St. Lucia trip reports lately. A few links unfortunately just mention St. Lucia so the search engine picks it up.

See also these others.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-caribbean-bermuda/378599-st-lucia-diving.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/360817-talk-me-about-st-lucia.html

St. Lucia is mountainous and as Editmojo said, your proximity from hotel to towns can be deceiving.
Take note of the airport you fly into. There are two. Use the one nearest your hotel.
IMO the best diving is in the south near the Pitons and Soufriere but if you are staying far north the boat ride is long(er)

Hi, the best known and longest established scuba centre in St.Lucia is Scuba St.Lucia, website Scuba St. Lucia - The best scuba diving and snorkeling in the Caribbean!
Scuba St Lucia is part of Anse Chastanet Resort and there, you are in fact right in the heart of the marine reserves and therefore you don t have to worry about long boat rides as all dive sites are within a 8-15 minute range. Only exception is the wreck of the Lesleen M which is about 25 minutes away, higher up north and near Anse Cochon Bay. The Scuba st.Lucia website details a lot of the dive sites. Scuba St Lucia offers a full schedule daily. Night dives are done right off the excellent Anse Chastanet reef and are offered twice weekly. In August, there is a good chance to see coral spawning on the Anse Chastanet reef, the dive centre thinks between Aug 15-21, 2011. A one week stay this summer at Anse Chastanet begins at US 1869 per person dbl occ, including room, meals, diving. Details can be found on Scuba St. Lucia - The best diving in the Caribbean! - the dive shop manager is Bernd and you can email him at scuba@candw.lc. To book a stay call 1-800-223-1108. Anse Chastanet and the town of Soufriere are a 60 minute drive from UVF airport, and about 75 minutes from SLu airport. Most international carriers fly into UVf. Delta flies direct non stop from Atlanta, a few times per week, you got AA non stop direct from Miami, and Jet Blue from JFK. I hope this was helpful.

Skip frogs diving - dove w/ them last summer PM me if you want the real story.
Scuba Steve's shop was sooo dirty you wouldnt get me on their boat.
Dive Fair Helen treated us very well. Best surface interval yet on a dive boat. The lunch was a real treat. All the best diving is around the pitons. Stayed with Simon and francine at blueskies apts in Gros islet. Kitchen / pool etc. Simon took us to town to get our bearings and to shop - arranged rental car cheaper than anyone on island. VERY interesting place !!!

I haven't dove St. Lucia yet but am VERY excited about our upcoming trip. I'm going Sept. 9-16. The Dive group that I've gone on trips with has gotten a great deal on a dive package at Anse Chastanet. They are advertising it on their site for $6119 for two in a Superior Room, includes 3 meals a day, diving, etc. Coral Kaleidoscope Scuba Package at Anse Chastanet. The price we got for the same package is $3,298 for two divers, and they knock off a bit if one is a non-diver. It's through PADI Travel and was a deal that was offered at this year's DEMA. If you want more info, PM me.

I just came back from a 9 day stay at Sandals Grand @ St. Lucia. My GF and I went on 5 dives in 3 days and had an awesome time. The staff was friendly a 2 minute walk from our room got us on the boat right in front of the dive shop. SCUBA for free as much as you want during your stay. Below is a YouTube video of me at the "Piton Wall" 100' swimming next to a Sea Turtle:

I am glad to hear diving in St Lucia is fun as we are headed there in February.

Dove there almost 2 years ago. We stayed at Sandals Grande. Although not a typical - DIVE RESORT - we did 6 dives in 3 days ( we were there for 7) and loved every second. To the "travel the world and dove everything so Im spoiled crowd" - it isnt considered great diving. I, however, loved it and so did my wife. I didnt hear a single complaint for any of the 50 or so people we dove with while we were there. They have a few wrecks and some nice dives - AND - if you request, they will set up a night dive.

I've since done a couple hundred dives in several other locations (mostly in NJ)- but Im not spoiled. Im going to Sandals Antigua in December and again - not rated as great diving - but I am sure my wife and I will enjoy every second of the diving!!!!

I think you will find this quite helpful. If it is, I would love to know. Also, I would love to know what else you would have liked to seen in the presentation.

youtube.com/virtualdivereport

Back
Top Bottom