Diving/Snorkeling in Zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

threeopus3

Reaction score
So, I am going Zanzibar. The idea was to go to a place that has everything. Of course, knowing that there is diving to be done, I have been fixating about this aspect of the trip.

Well, it turns out that diving in Zanzibar probably won't be great. I'm not sure if it will just be mediocre, or if it will be something less.

The point of this thread is to ask whether anyone has advice regarding better scuba nad snorkeling spots on the island. How is Pemba? How is Mafia? How are the islands around Stone Town? Is the snorkeling around Chumbee Island any good at all?

Is the Mnemba Atoll decent at all?

Any adice that can help me seek out the best reefs around Zanzibar would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Worked in north west zanzibar. Nungwi area.

There is some decent diving to be found there. When you planning on going. wouldnt reccomend December-February. WInd from the north makes the ocean a bit rough.

As to weather it will be great diving or not. That is up to you to decide based on what you are looking for.

Zanzibar is good for the small stuff. Heaps of leaf fish, nudibranchs, crocodile fish, good chance of frog fish. Dives are shallow.

if you are looking for the big stuff dont bother. Odd turtle Napoleon and shark.

If you are keen to dive and are north stay on the north west side. This will allow you to move directly from the dive centre to the boat and dive site. The east coast has a problem with the tides. at low tide the water is very shallow and the boats cannot come close enought to the dive centre. This means you need a car trip from dive centre to boat.

The north west side has around 12 dive sites and east side has Mnemba and some others.

get in contact with scuba-do zanzibar. they will give you honest advice

My experience is only with the north west side. so cant really help with the rest of zanzibar

Who told you that the diving was bad in Zanzibar. I have been down there twice in the past year, and found it spectacular, better in Oct. than this February. But the visability was excellent and the number of fish, shellfish and coral species was impressive. The best area to go is Chumbe Island, but the locals tell me that Pemba has some of the most unspoiled reefs in East Africa.
I am a relative novice diver, and never went very deep, but what I saw was magic, and even the snorkling was a treat.
Have a wonderful time. I stayed at the Asmini Palace, and the manager there Alex, can help you with contacts around the island. There are two excellent dive shops in Stonetown, that can get you to some of the local reefs, but if money is not a problem, try to get out to Chumbe it has been recognized as a World class aquatic sanctuary and the resort has won awards for its ecofriendly tourism.
Have a wonderful time, it is an amazing place.

Awesome. Thanks so much more the positive post BB. It is nice to hear someone saying something good about Zanzibar. I'm excited to go there, but have been reading mixed things. I'll post some thought when I get back.

Bachelorbroad - did you actually dive around Chumbe? As far as I know, the marine conservation area is snorkelling only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom