Diving/Snorkeling In Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ks18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thinking about going to Cozumel. As with all my vacations they are dependent on how the snorkeling and scuba diving is. Does cozumel have great scuba diving? How is the walk in shore snorkeling? I would like to spend a lot of time snorkeling right off the beaches since its free.

Any great beach snorkel spots? Any great scuba locations?

Thanks.

You will probably get more response if you posted this to the Cozumel subforum.

I am an avid snorkeler who has been to Cozumel. Cozumel has always been better known for its diving rather than its snorkeling because there isn't that much shallow-water nearshore habitat. Still, when I went there in 2005, there was some pretty good snorkeling off-the-beach in small areas. The visibility and coral growth was great, especially at a place called Dzul Ha beach. However, several months after I was there, Hurricane Wilma came through and devastated all the shallow-water coral environment in Cozumel. Most things less than a depth of 30 ft. were sand-blasted, and what was left was rubble. I haven't been back because of this, but from reading comments on internet forums such as Scubaboard, the scuba diving has pretty much recovered, but the shallow-water snorkeling hasn't. Friends of mine who went to Cozumel a few months ago said the snorkeling wasn't good at Dzul Ha, although the water was clear. If snorkeling will be a primary focus of your trip, I'd suggest going elsewhere. However, if you are mainly into scuba, Cozumel will still be great.

It's a shame to hear about Dzul Ha :-(. I've been to Coz 4 times and an one of those trips did a night dive at Dzul Ha. The dive was absolutely great. We went back shortly after the hurricane and even at greater depths there was a lot of sand. I kept wondering why I show so many parrot and queen trigger fish on that trip and the dive master said it was because they really show up against the sand. I don't know what condition the reef is in now but I have heard some very positive trip reports to Coz over the last couple of years. Dave is correct, go to this Cozumel link, and you will probably get answers from people that have recently been there: Cozumel - ScubaBoard.

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom