Diving Similans in March - Thailand Unrest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second and third what others have said. I wouldn't be concerned. The media here has actually been reporting an uptick in tourists visiting Phuket because they are bypassing Bangkok. I've lived here 13 years now and there always seems to be some kind of protest or another. Phuket is usually left out of it.

Even the whale sharks have feel safe enough to stay around :)

Check out this video...

Nice. As a side comment, this season so far seems to be a really good one for diving in and around Phuket. My friends that work on the Similan, Surin, and Burma live-a-board oats are posting lots of photos of whale sharks and mantas this year. Earlier in the week I was diving with 12-15 black tip reef sharks off Phi Phi. Yesterday we had 3 at the same site, and leopard shark at Shark Point (thanks Big Jeff for pointing it out!). One tourleader friend of told me recently that Hin Deang and Hin Mueng is "Manta City." So good time to dive here it seems.

A friend of mine working in the Similans took this photo the other day:

A "Shark Selfie" classic from last week at Racha Yai Bay one, of all places. One whale shark and one whale. :wink:

All photos published with permission.

At present, the Bangkok protest has gotten smaller, a few protest stages have been closed. However there is still a big presence in the central shopping district from Central Chidlom to Siam Square / Paragon and at the Asoke intersection at Sukhumvit. What this means is that car traffic is essentially halted in these areas and traffic can get really bad in the vicinity. These places are still easily accessible via the sky-train. Although there's been no incident in these areas, something could happen. Every now and then, the protestors will have a parade around the city. This has the effect of blocking traffic and create traffic jam ripples that can extend surprisingly far across Bangkok.

What this means practically for foreign tourists is
- Some places in Bangkok will only be accessible via skytrain. This is mostly shopping district, so think again before going, there are alternatives for shopping.
- Traffic jams can become wide spread and unpredictable. Check the news and give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport.
- Don't be a crazy conflict zone tourist and go to active clashes for selfies. These tend to be at various gov't agencies and not tourist destinations anyway.
- As others report, life in other areas are not effected (Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi, Chiangmai etc).

I have just returned from a 7 day liveaboard on Scuba Adventure less than a week ago, and on the way there I stayed in Bangkok very near some of the protest sites. Apart from potential traffic delays, I agree there is no cause for concern. Like others have said, don't go and join the crowds directly - incidents happen. The skytrain worked perfectly for me.

And you should look forward to your trip on the Scuba Adventure. The boat is nice and the service very personal and friendly.

Have a great time!
Mikkel

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom