Diving Similan in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunrise:
Just to be clear - Colona VI is run by Colona. Kon Tiki don't run a liveaboard but have the Flyer boat for day trips to the Similan Islands and some good snorkel tours.
Same same but different... but I guess Patrick wouldn't want to be associated with snorkelling.

Sara
For local phuket dives, I use Calypso divers. Their boat is one of the stalwarts of phuket, regularly going out when other operations send their divers onto the boat since many operations don't have their own boat but are booking centers who hire guides for the customers. They also have the best food. Used them for about 10 years now. And they still won't pick me up from Surin. :cwmddd:
In fact the dive crew of Colona VI (now sans Raoul) came from Calypso divers, so you can be sure they are fun and safe. If you are a photographer however, then I'd recommend you check out the AquaOne. More expensive but Ali is probably the best guide around (I'm sure SSRA30 will agree). Unfortunately, Johnny Gallick is no longer with them so they lost the best cruise director in Phuket (except when there's a whaleshark around).

I did my OW Cert there this year the last week of May, booked thru West Coast Divers, but we went on the Calypso boat, it was a great trip. Compared to the US West coast even the worst there will be better than here. We had 81 degree water and 100 ft. visibility. It was funny when I did the OW navigation exercise ( I think it was like 15 or 20 kick cycles out, turn around, and navigate back), I turned around and just looked up and I could still see the instructor.

Rainy season means rain, but it doesn't necessarily mean "storm"- often the rain just comes in a downpour for an hour or so and then it clears up. We did have a lot of rain that week but the boat trips weren't exceptionally rough (no rougher than in the Catalina Channel in the afternoon here).

Back
Top Bottom