Diving Similan in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sara_lee86

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this dive board and just need some advice for a trip I have booked to Thailand May 2006.

First off, I will be arriving to Phuket on Tuesday,
May 9th 2006 and am planning a live-aboard trip to the
Similan Island. My partner [David] and I are both
divers so we are anticipating this moment. We have
never gone diving in Asia and hear Similan is the best
so this will really make or break our trip! I have
herd May to be the beginning of Rainy season [my heart
sank a little!!] and I hope the dive condition wont'
deteoriate too much. I see that most dive operations
stop going to the Similan in May although some still
do. Can you give me an honest opinion on the dive
conditions in May - should we choose to go on a
live-aboard on the 2nd week of May or is it not worth
our time due to bad weather? I am very curious as to
how much change in dive condition is between April and
early / mid May? Currently I am planning to use
Andaman Scuba for their 4 days / 5 nights live-aboard
to Similan / Richelieu departing at 10pm on Tuesday
May 9th, 2006. The cost is $610 per person plus 15$
per day for dive equipment.
http://www.andamanscuba.com/prices-similan.htm.

I know that Phuket has year-round diving to local areas
but I really have my heart set on diving the Similan.
Any information you can give will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

As you are at the end of the season, you can have rougher sea conditions and more rain;but to tell you what to expect really when you'll be there 8 months in advance is irrealistic. Don't even ask again it as no meaning exept maybe to reassure you if someone can tell you: i was there at the same time of the year and everything was great. Maybe you will have a wonderful time and cross a late whale shark. Maybe not.
But it seems that you have decided to go there. So, if i were you ( and i'm not but i will play like if iwere... ) I will try to do it earlier. More chances to see big fishes; more chances to have a better weather. ( more chances, no absolute certitude )
even if adamanscuba as an exellent reputation for lot of dive op, the low season begins 1st may.

Is there also some sort of day-trip 2-dives kinda thing from Phuket? i certainly do not look for a few days of diving. Welcome any recommendation of dive operators and prices.

Sure, daytrips with 2-3-4 dives are possible to all kinds of destinations around Phuket: Similans, Racha islands, Koh Doc Mai, Shark Point, Anemone Reef, King Cruiser, Bida Nai, Bida Nok.

Regarding the diving in May: I would not worry about the rain too much, May is normally dry. It could happen the wind changes direction before your trip, and that may mean a bit rougher sea, but should still be perfectly ok. That does mean that in the worst case scenario, the boat will not be able to go to Koh tachai and Richelieu Rock, but during May noprmally the boat will be able to go there.
The visibility will not be as good as earlier in the season, because of the plankton in the water, but May is an excellent time to go for manta rays and maybe even whale sharks. And on the plus side, there won't be as many divers as earlier in the season.

So if I were you, I would go for it.

MAY be rain, MAY be sun. This last May 2005 was typically mixed :

May 2005 weather

Early May has been very good for diving the last couple of years, with big fish around. But I do recall my first season here in May 2000, the weather was B.A.D and we cancelled the last couple of trips of the season...so the no b***s**t answer is that you never know. Yes, it's a risk, and if you can come a few weeks earlier, that is a good idea. If you come early May, you can have great diving.

Any reason you chose the boat you did? Just curious.

Hey guys,

Thank you all for the reply. I'll definitely wait until I arrive in Phuket - or close to my departure date - to make my final decision but cross my fingers for the nice weather. I'm from San Francisco California and used to diving the COLD COLD water of Monterey with hardly any visibility so I'm sure it will be just fine.

In regards to Andaman Scuba, I really chose them because they fit nicely into my arrival time in Phuket. Their itinerary for the trip also looks promising, but I have not finalized any plans. There is so much info on this board and various sites that I have only begun to review different liveaboards. Please Please feel free to suggest any dive operations that will give us a good time diving similan at reasonable cost.

Thanks again,

Sara

For your budget, I would also look at Colona VI run by Kon Tiki Divers. Nice boat with good food and good crew at the mid budget range. There are a few more boats in the budget range and I've been on Le Mahe, Bun Mee and Colona, and prefer Colona.

you could try Seadragon divers in Khao lak. At that moment of the season, they do 3 days cruise but from Khaola you will get half the price ( less 5 %if you pay cash) Advantages: if you like you can make 2 in a row ( retune customers: less 10 % ) . You can add day cruise to Similan also ; the question is how would look Khaolak in may: it was the hardest hit part of Thailand by last year Tsunami. Probably in rebuilding, with a lot of scars. So diving from there would also be a way to help.... Ask them if on their 3 days trip they go to Richelieu rock. ( Best dive of all . If yes: 2 cruises= 2 times ).

Anyway yoou have a lot of time. I'll be ther in early December so you will have more details.
How long will you stay in Thailand? Do you spend some days in Bangkok? is it just diving hollydays?

scubashooter:
For your budget, I would also look at Colona VI run by Kon Tiki Divers. Nice boat with good food and good crew at the mid budget range. There are a few more boats in the budget range and I've been on Le Mahe, Bun Mee and Colona, and prefer Colona.

Just to be clear - Colona VI is run by Colona. Kon Tiki don't run a liveaboard but have the Flyer boat for day trips to the Similan Islands and some good snorkel tours.

Looks like Colona VI has their last trip April 23 - 27. Has anyone used Andaman Scuba or hear good things about them?

Hallboy: I'll be in Thailand for 3 weeks total so definitely looking for some Thai fun! Not long enough but thats all I have. My last 5 days will be spent in Bangkok before departure, otherwise I'll be in Phuket to soak up some sun. I'm looking to also do the local dives to anenome reef, shark point and koh doc mai. Feel free to suggest any other activities that may be special and rewarding. I'm looking into taking day-trips to the near by islands. Any thoughts, thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom