Diving shorts w/pockets or strap on thigh pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have concluded my initial useage of the ist holster type pocket pants.

They are actually very secure between the webbing type waist belt and the wide neoprene / Velcro leg straps. The pockets are secured by zippers rather than Velcro. I did not notice the pockets twisting like you would experience by a leg strap only individual pocket.

However, they suffer from a substantial storage limitation in comparison to xsscuba and the like pocket shorts. The pockets on the 1st holster pants are probably on 50% of the volume of the conventional pocket shorts.

Whether this is an individual limitation is another question. YMMV, but they are definitely too small for a wide 6 foot tech DSMB and 150 ft reel. A recreational smb and 70 foot finger spool is ok. A spare mask and defog is also ok.

I did find them very handy for carrying smaller items including tools and fasteners for work underneath the boat. They are also much, much more streamlined than conventional shorts which could be of interest to many.
i like Ist*

Another vote here for the Apeks Tech Shorts. Plenty of storage, and a secure belt to keep them up. I chose a size that let me wear them with just a swimsuit for really warm water, or over a 3 or 5mm wetsuit for colder water. I have a Halcyon BP/W and I used to use the weight/cargo pocket they offer, but I prefer the shorts since everything is in the same location as my drysuit.

I use this pocket Dive Rite DC Thigh Pocket XT, Velcro Closure , have well over 200 dives with it. The waist strap attachment clipped right into my SeaQuest Balance with no modifications when I wore a BCD, and the loop works quite well with the waist strap on my BP/W. With the waist strap attachment it could not fall down if it wanted to.

I always have the trauma shears attached on the outside, and always carry a DSMB and a 100' reel. I have had no problem carrying a DSMB as large as my 8' / 25lb lift Carter Super Sausage. I have also added a backup light & slate to the pocket with no issues.

I evaluated shorts, but for me the single pocket is sufficient, adds no buoyancy, and is significantly less bulk when already regularly diving a 7mm fullsuit or fullsuit + shorty.

I have the Apeks Tech Shorts and like the quality but wish they made a holster type shorts like the IST holsters. I would have bought the IST holsters if the pockets were larger.

Not an option you mentioned, but the glue on thigh pockets work great on wetsuits. Easy to put on, aquaseal holds fine, and you can position the pocket exactly where you want it. When I wear out my wetsuit, it looks like I can peal the pocket off for my next suit.

The only downside is I dive a skin mostly now in tropical waters so the shorts would work better in that scenario for a thigh pocket. I dive a BP/w or Transpac and I just moved the waist buckle over to my right side to free up more room on the waist belt and put a regular utility pocket across my belly. Plenty of room for shears, small knife, strobe if night diving, and back up light. My SMB and reel will fit too, but I prefer it clipped off to the plate or rear d ring.

Good luck!
Jay

Military BDUs/ACUs with velcro on the pockets. We used them all the time in the military.

...looking for Scuba Pro Hybrid cargo shorts.... the old version, seems a new thicker version is being sold now... anyone know where I may be able to get one pair of th eold version ? Men's 36-38 waist... the old unisex sizing chart is also gone from their website, but think I need the XXL...? Want them to dive in tropical water, and do not need the extra warmth and buoyancy of the new version...

Any tips finding a pair would be greatly appreciated !

I had the thigh pocket and didn't like it. I now have the DGX shorts an they work well.

Back
Top Bottom