Diving San Juan Islands July 4th weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Will a Mares Isotherm semi-dry (or semi-wet hehe) keep me warm enough for 2 two tank days? The dive shop there said I should be ok, but my LDS here in Dallas thinks I am crazy to even think a semi-dry would be warm enough. I was thinking about wearing a 2.5 mm vest under the semi-dry, for a little extra warmth.

I'm not familiar with the suit, but water temperatures will be in the high 40's.

I've done quite a bit of wetsuit summer diving in the San Juans. I was using a 7ml farmer john/ jacket combo. On sunny days, I always found it to be a huge relief to get into the water, I'd get so hot on the surface.

If you're prone to chills during the surface interval, bring a raincoat. Wrap up as soon as you hit the surface, and you'll retain a lot more heat.

If you still have doubts about the wisdom of your semi-dry, rent a suit from your San Juan dive shop.

Just curious, can you (should you) pee in a semi-dry suit? :D Of course, no one up here would ever relieve themselves in their suits. But they all seem curiously comfortable...

Steve

Steve. How were you in the water? Was it too cold?

Nope.

I'd be fine for the first dive, a little chilly toward the end of the second.

Bring that raincoat, do whatever you can to dry your suit between dive days, and you'll be fine.

The San Juans are positively beautiful, you're going to have a great time.

Steve

khacken:
Will a Mares Isotherm semi-dry (or semi-wet hehe) keep me warm enough for 2 two tank days? The dive shop there said I should be ok, but my LDS here in Dallas thinks I am crazy to even think a semi-dry would be warm enough. I was thinking about wearing a 2.5 mm vest under the semi-dry, for a little extra warmth.
You should be fine ... I was in the San Juans two weeks ago. Water temp was 50 degrees ... it'll be up to 52 or so by July 4.

Diving a wetsuit during the summer isn't an issue here ... assuming you keep your dives above 100 fsw or so. I know several old-timers who prefer wetsuits during the summer months ... just make sure you have a warm hood.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

howdy,
I dove the san juans in a wetsuit, but then again i dove clear lake oregon in a wetsuit, talk about "ice cream headache". I am a fan of the drysuit, but if you are adventurous, the semi-dry should work. I have found the average water temps to be more in the low 50's....to some that warm. Have fun

I agree with Bob. If it is warm, you are going to appreciate the wetsuit.

Along with a warm hood, bring a pair of gloves. Depending on how cold your hands get, you should be able to get away with a good pair of 3 mm. I wear 5mm in the summer and I am fine.

Have fun!!!

khacken:
The water was 51 degrees today, viz was maybe 20 ft (big tide exchanges). The boat you'll be diving from has a large (70 gal) very warm (104 degree) shower aboard that warms chilled divers really well. The cabin heater is very capable of warming any freezing or frozen parts you may have as well. We're looking forward to a warm, albeit wet, 4th this year. It's rained every year for the past 5, so why not this one too? Fortunately the rain doesn't last long and the air temp hasn't been below 70 during the daytime. The diving is wonderful in the San Juans, and your semi dry should be adequate. I dove my wetsuit (7ml) today and was in the water for 50 minutes and was starting to get cold toes during the safety stop.

Looking forward to having you on island,
Dawn

Evolution2:
The water was 51 degrees today, viz was maybe 20 ft (big tide exchanges). The boat you'll be diving from has a large (70 gal) very warm (104 degree) shower aboard that warms chilled divers really well. The cabin heater is very capable of warming any freezing or frozen parts you may have as well. We're looking forward to a warm, albeit wet, 4th this year. It's rained every year for the past 5, so why not this one too? Fortunately the rain doesn't last long and the air temp hasn't been below 70 during the daytime. The diving is wonderful in the San Juans, and your semi dry should be adequate. I dove my wetsuit (7ml) today and was in the water for 50 minutes and was starting to get cold toes during the safety stop.

Looking forward to having you on island,
Dawn
Ah ... Dawn ... since you're on the board, would you please consider responding to this post ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1435493&postcount=9

... especially since I never received a response to my e-mails to you on the topic.

I can forgive mistakes by shop staff (being one, I can understand how they happen) ... what I cannot forgive is your staff responding to a my questions at the time with attitude and false statements ... then ignoring me when I sent you e-mail. There's just no excuse for that.

Frankly, yours is the only shop I have ever been into that I can honestly say I will go out of my way to avoid.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom