Diving Roman ruins in Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit confused -- the title of this thread mentions Marseilles, France, but the Facebook post mentions Baia (in the Gulf of Naples, Italy). Is this off of Marseilles, or is this Baia? Baia is already on my diving bucket list: Archeological Marine Park of Baia

I'm a bit confused -- the title of this thread mentions Marseilles, France, but the Facebook post mentions Baia (in the Gulf of Naples, Italy). Is this off of Marseilles, or is this Baia? Baia is already on my diving bucket list: Archeological Marine Park of Baia
Good catch.

And there's this in Italy too: Nave romana

The ruins in Baia are very close to the surface, let me say at like 6 or 7 meters. The visibility depends a lot from the sea conditions.
Close to Baia there is also the "secca delle fumose" with both roman ruins (less interesting than Baia) and volcanic water underwater geysers and volcanic smokes which is a strange and uncommon type of dive
Not far from Baia there are also several "normal" non archeological dives, among them the "secca delle formiche" off the coast of the island of Procida and others. From Baia the diving centers can bring you there too

Good catch.

And there's this in Italy too: Nave romana
There are several roman ships dive in Italy, at different depths, some of them accessible only to technical divers like the one you linked which is at 60 meters. Close to it there is also the "secca di Santo Stefano" which is a nice non-archeological dive

As far as I know also in Liguria there is a Roman ship accessible also to recreational divers with AOW + Deep at 40 meters of depth. The boats for this ship leave from Loano

They actually invented volcanic cement, far more stable and superior to modern cement. K
Actually it was pozzolanic concrete. The best, lasting thousands years...
Not as today's Portland concrete, which collapses after 50-60 years. Do you know of the collapse of Morandi's bridge in Genoa?

Actually it was pozzolanic concrete. The best, lasting thousands years...
Not as today's Portland concrete, which collapses after 50-60 years. Do you know of the collapse of Morandi's bridge in Genoa?

Too bad they lost the recipe. Would have been helpful in the middle ages.

Back
Top Bottom