diving research in physics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biz_nate

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi! I've been reading the forums for about a month now, and have fallen in love with this site. I think you have a wonderful community here. This morning I broke down and decided to start an account. There goes my work week :shakehead

Anyways, I've been trying to learn if/how Physics plays any part in dive research anymore. Of course I understand that one can't really learn to dive without learning some Physics- Physics is a part of diving (well, everything) in general. I'm looking for something a little more than that, though.

I'm currently working an a Master's degree in Physics, and am considering different research topics for my thesis. I'd love to do something dive related, but it seems that most current research is centered more on Physiology. That's actually kind of exciting, as I've really enjoyed learning the (admittedly, limited) Physiology I have in my DM and nitrox/deco classes. I guess at heart, I'm a big fat nerd. (Well, a big nerd at least.) Anyways, all that to say that I love Physics and Math, am very interested in learning more Physiology, and would really like to use those skills and interests to further the state of dive knowledge.

Is there anything out there for me?

A second, somewhat unrelated question- where are the jobs in the dive industry? Not, mind you, the Instructor/DM jobs, but the R&D, scientific research and such? I'm guessing the answer is that they're spread all over the US/world, but if there are regional concentrations, it'd be nice to know. I've spent the past 6 years working as an Engineer with satellites, and am starting entertain thoughts of change.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Ben

Ben,

You might check out the research repository at the Rubicon Foundation. I did a quick search on "diving physics", and although most of the answers were physiology-related, there was some basic physics in bubble mechanics and in insulating properties of materials, just in the first two pages I pulled up.

You might get some information about your second question if you PM Thalassamania. Ross Hemingway, who wrote VPM, hangs out on The Deco Stop as rossh, and he'd probably have some information for you, too.

If you're a high tech guy, like I think of myself as, get involved with the "Reef Check" programs that are sprouting up all over the globe. It seems the liberals and environmentalists have a 'deep pocket' when it comes to funding something like that. With your knowledge and expertise in physics the NOAA group would love to get their hands on you!
Inquire with the universities that host and sponsor upper education studies using interns and volunteers as their human factor and you'll have a hard time trying to decide on what exactly you want to participate in.
Good luck, we need more people like you.

The major area where physics would be involved, research wise, would be in the formation of bubbles. A lot is still not understood about some of he odder aspects like variable permeability, nucleation, etc.

That said, a lot of that research boarders on chemistry; I don't know how well that would fit into a pure physics degree.

Another potential area could be fluid dynamics - you could look into things like fluid flow around fins and the like (no, I am not trying to start a splits vs. paddle fight here, we all know paddles are the best :wink: ). Not earth-shattering stuff, but it may fly with your supervisor.

Bryan

Lots of things to consider for a thesis.

If you discover an advance related to transmission of light, sound and other waves through water there are plenty of markets. Searching for artifacts is augmented with sonar, magnometers, etc. Plus anything that improves underwater videography would have a market. Look up marine archeology if you want to explore current methods and potential links to your field.

Insulation and materials were already mentioned.

Tech divers use different blends of gasses to reach greater depths safety. I’m sure a physicist could entertain himself with ideas there.

Rebreathers are becoming more popular. You could look at potential improvements to research.

People like to talk about a means to transfer GPS data to a handheld while diving. I don’t think the satelight data would be very useful to them but you could explore ideas to accomplish what they are after, i.e. a real time map with directional and depth data.

Batteries are used for lots of devices. Flooding and storage life are potential items to consider.

I’m sure there are plenty of other ideas.

Wow- there were quite a few ideas in here that I hadn't yet considered! Thanks, everyone for your input. I'll start checking out these options.

Just out of curiosity- when this idea occurred to me, the first thing that popped into my head was bubble formation models and tissue research. I put that idea down before it ever took off though, because it seems like this area's been beaten to death- at least within the constraints of recreational diving. It did occur to me that models may be insufficient past particular depths or for mixes utilizing molecules other than N2 and O2, but I didn't think that area of research was too hot right now. Does anyone have any insight into this?

There's a lot of controversy about the diffusion dynamics of helium . . . Some believe it ongasses faster and offgasses slower, others believe it offgasses faster as well. That's kind of physiology more than physics, but it's an open area of discussion.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. I guess I'll have to wait till they're solving Schrodinger's equation for gasses in tissue... :coffee:

Well, thanks for your help. I really appreciate the time you all took to respond.

Back
Top Bottom