Diving Puerto Vallarta...wetsuit recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CosFragger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
HI, I will be arriving in PV on Feb 11, 2014 and planning on diving EL Morro and Las Mariettas. What is the water temp this time of year. Have a 3mm fullsuit and would this be enough? This will be my first time diving outside the Philippines and very excited!

Thanks will check if they have a thicker wetsuit my size.

I was there two years ago and it was mid 60s before the thermocline, then it was high 50s. The two dive shops I went with were saying most people preferred the 7mm suit, accessories depended on the person.

Im currently in Riu Pacifico Palace. Will book a 2 tank dive to El Morro. Went swimming in the beach today and the water was quite cool. Of course it will be colder in open water esp below the thermocline.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 08:53 PM ----------

@Laurie S.

Will let you know what temp my dive computer reads. Will take a scuba review tomorrow since ive been out of the water for a few years.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I have my 5mm packed for Cabo, along with a hooded vest. I wear those comfortably down to 52 degrees. I have my 1 mm packed, but might have to leave it if it's only in the 60s.

Laurie

I made a shore dive and temp reading was from 77 to 79f. Dive staff recommends at least a 5mmwetsuit at the dive sites. Will post the temp reading tommorrow. Where will you be staying? Its nice and sunny at 81f with a nice ocean breeze.

Oh, that's nice and warm, thanks! I'll be keeping my 1 mm. If necessary, I can put my hooded vest under it. We're there for just one day while on a cruise next Wednesday.

Laurie S

I made 2 dives in El Morro today. Temperature ranged from 71 -75F. Termoclines were present and should have gone
down to less than 70f. The area is small and no real opportunity to drift dive. Viz ranged from about 15-30ft. A 2 knot
current was present in places as well as surge. Try to hold your breath while stationary as ive heard the whales vocalization. Please feel free to ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom