Diving Puerto Aventuras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teke

Reaction score
My son (age 11) and I just got certified and will be going to Puerto Aventuras the end of Nov. Just wondering if anyone has used a dive shop there? The one I've heard of is Dive Aventuras - does anyone have opinions?

Thanks

Go to Akumal for diving. It's just south from PA. Akumal has the best diving on the mainland. Where are you staying in PA?

I used Mike Madden in PA years ago. They were OK but nothing special. Diving was pretty good as was the snorkeling.

My wife and I used them in October and thought they were great. Very short boat rides (10 minutes or less) and all you have to do is fall off the boat and after the dive you take the gear off in the water and they put it in the boat. So all you have to do is pull yourself into the boat. Visibility was probably 70 feet or so when we were there. We were told visibility should get better this month when the water cools off a little. The maximum number of divers was 6 and on the first day we were the only two people with a guide that were diving.

We used Aquanauts dive shop which is right by the dolphins.We had an excellent time. Saw lots of stuff and would highly recommend it to anyone. Dive safely and enjoy!

Teke:
My son (age 11) and I just got certified and will be going to Puerto Aventuras the end of Nov. Just wondering if anyone has used a dive shop there? The one I've heard of is Dive Aventuras - does anyone have opinions?

Thanks
We stayed at the Omni hotel there and used Dive Aventuras, I loved it. It should work well for just certified persons. There was very little current, if any, and there are some shallow areas for your son. The dive masters were very helpful with newbies (actually everyone) and will help you with your skills, and they give very good dive briefings. There were several days that it was just me and the DM for the whole day of diving! There are two other Dive Ops in Puerto Aventuras - Aquanauts (right across the street from the Omni where Dive Aventuras is) and Pro Dive Mex (in the Sunscape hotel). Have fun.

Here's my trip report from Sep 2006

Dive Trip Puerto Aventuras
We stayed at the Omni Puerto Aventuras for 8 days Sep 2 to Sep 10th, and I dove with Dive Aventuras for five days. The dive OP Dive Aventuras is located right in the hotel and is so convenient, I would walk 30 steps from my room to the dive op then walk 3 or 4 minutes to the dive boat, 3 to 5 minute boat ride out to the reefs and then dive, return to hotel for SIT and then repeat. It is the perfect set up for those of us with non-diving spouses. I would go dive the 9am dive, return to the room, see what’s up, then go out and dive again or go have breakfast with my hubby. They also have 2 afternoon and a night dive time available too. I didn’t have to buy a dive package, they just let you dive as many dives as you want and at the end the more dives you dive the cheaper it is per dive, 10 dives is $310.
The diving was awesome, lots of fish, beautiful coral, warm water (84 –88 degrees), excellent vis and hardly any current. We saw turtles several times, an eel, a sea horse, lobster, ray, barracuda, huge puffers and tonnes of fish.
I dove Santos Reef, Paradise deep, Paradise shallow, Castille (huge, beautiful castle looking coral formation), Las Islas (my fave) and repeated a couple. Carlos was the DM I dove with everyday and he found stuff under ledges and in cracks and was very helpful with the new divers that dove a couple times. He gave good briefings and reminded people how to do buddy checks. The boats are high sided pangas with shade covers that you do a back roll entry then they have a ladder to get back in. The only negative with the diving is that the OP tends to dive a schedule, so about 45 to 55 minutes regardless of how much air or bottom time you have left. For me that was ok since I wanted to spend time with my hubby too. Their rental gear was Aqualung Breakers BCD and mares or aqualung regs, well taken care of and fairly new.

Nice shop, nice DMs. Don't forget to tip them. Diving is OK too, not as spectacular as other places. Remember seen spotted ray and turtle and bunch of small fish.
Coral reefs are not as good as before Wilma.
Anyway, you'll have fun.

Just got back yesterday from Puerto Aventuras. We had a personal guide the entire time there. His name is Dennis Weekes. His prices are equal to any dive shop and he is the most amazing guide ever. His company is called Diablo Divers. We did 9 dives in 7 days with him and he was amazing. Make sure you get out to some cenotes. Try to get away from Puerto for the diving though. Much better south in Akumal or up near Cozumel. And get Dennis. You wont be disappointed.

http://diablodivers.com/

About Dive Aventura shop, done diving with them few times over few years.
Shop is good, has lockers and nice bathrooms. Plenty of fresh water. Rental gear is in good shape. Dolphins nearby, but I'm against any dolphin show so didn't go.
Dives are nice and easy, shop gears for all kinds of divers, so they don't take you anywhere deeper than 50'. DM is always present, make sure you remember the name of sites you already visited, they tend to take to the closest site all the time.
Especially remember the site you didn't like, so you will not go there over and over again.
I was diving cenotes several times. The dives are good, but getting into water is quite a task - you have go down very steep stairs with all gear on your back, fins in your hand. If you have any back problem it could be a bummer.
Diving itself is very nice, no fish but rock formations are very interesting. Plus, play of lights in the caverns is magnificent. But again, for new diver or older diver with back pain it may not be the best time spent.
With Dive Aventuras you pay for every dive, they prorate your last dive to reflect discount for multi-dives. Before paying for last dive count your money carefully, they made mistake in my case of $10, not to my advantage, of course.
DM will be grateful for $5 tip for a day of diving per person. For your son, I guess, it would be $10 / day (based on two dives a day schedule).
Get your snorkel with you, there are a lot of reefs close to the beach you can explore.
Anyway, you will have lots of fun, the main thing is not to get agitated over small things, like shop not being punctual on their schedule and so on.
Another piece of advise, shop located in the laguna, waters always calm there and reefs close by.
If you have non-diving member in your party they can wait for you there, enjoying beautiful beach and waters. Dive shop will pick them up with you and drive you all back after the end diving day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom