Diving phrase book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neilstewart

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just got back from an extremely successful and cosmopilitan trip to the Maldives. In the last 10 days I have dived with French, Italian, Portugese, Swiss, German, Japanese and of course english people. I am a little embarassed that everyone can speak pretty good english and would like to be able to say a phrases or two in each persons language.

e.g. "thank you for diving with me today"

Would board members around the globe be able to translate that for me and give me a fenetical translation as well so I can start a small phrase book.

Other phrases would also be welcome.

Cheers

Neil

If you do it in slate form you might actually make a buck or two.

Watch out for those Japanese coming out of the water going "oishii!" - they've seen something tastey!!!

If you want to ask them how it was and you thought it was good - try "ii des ne?" (I know I've left out a u - should be desu - but that's how it sounds!!)

Also "tanoshkatta desu" (I know, I know I'm missing at least one "i") - I had a good time.

Problem is they get very formal so probably best sticking to English - I do!!

Have fun
Jonathan

I posted this on the baord before, but www.scubahound.com has dive terms translated in several different languages, but I don't think there are any phrases.

danke für tauchen mit mir heute

(danka feur tauken mit mir hoita)

german for thank you for diving with me today (I hope)

Hi Neil, as you know, when coming up from any good dive, the smile that goes from ear to ear is enough for me, most of my buddies here and abroad are able to gauge how much i enjoyed diving with them, also a beer at the bar afterwards is also another indicator!
:mean:

"dankie vir die duik met my vandag..."
i bloody hope its right!! second language 4 times removed. it would probably also work for dutch and flemmish too (maybe).

James

English:
"Thank you for diving with me today. It was good to meet you."

Spanish:
"Gracias por bucear conmigo hoy día. Ha sido un placer conocerle."

Back
Top Bottom