Diving pacific islands with a budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fiji, Palau... Whatever...
I am trying to find a land based dive op in the pacific islands where "other than liveaboard" you can find a place for serious divers. The problem I've been finding is it seems no one offers any more than 2x a day ..... Which is not enough diving to justify the expense. Am I over looking something? Is my only option for multiple dives in this area a liveaboard? Any suggestions?

Shore dive on the Big Island - cheap.

We can do three dives a day here at Naigani Island Resort in Fiji. We find that, for some reason, most folks decide two is plenty once they get here, but we can certainly do three on our local sites (five to fifteen minutes from shore) and there is shore diving available as well.

For the more distant sites (these are about an hour from our shore and only the livaboards and maybe one land based op other than ourselves ever dive) we can do three tanks during the one trip.

PM me, or email me at naiganiusa@gmail.com for more information

Most Fiji dive operators (other than the liveaboards) offer 2-tank packages with the possibility of doing 3rd and 4th dives based on weather. There is an additional charge over the package price for these dives, and it may be dependent on a minimum diver requirement as well. Sometimes dive operators will offer a 3-tank dive for distant sites, again with a surcharge, but generally not on a daily basis. Quite a few resorts also offer shore diving (either included in the packages or for a nominal cost), and while it rarely matches the quality of the boat dives it can be surprisingly good. The only land based resort or dive operator that comes to mind that includes 3 daily boat dives in their package is Namena. By the way, the diving in the Namena Marine Reserve is incredible - Fiji's liveaboards visit on nearly every trip.

thook--you say SERIOUS divers. What kind of diving do you want to do?
My experience is that in the island your diving is generally split into two "groups" morning and afternoon dives.
Generalising I've found that the morning dives tend to be the deeper/more challenging and the afternoon dives are easier/more relaxing.
Fiji seems to be two tank morning and one tank arvo
Samoa -is 2 and 2 BUT only if they have sufficient numbers.
Rarotonga are 2 and 2 but IMO the diving isn't challenging.
Vanuatu are 2 in the am and 1 in the afternoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom