Diving out of Smithers.....HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetvet

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all you freaky west coasters (I married one, so I have the right to call you that);

I am coming out to your neck of the woods in November, and am visiting in-laws in Smithers. In the interest of good family relations, I am hoping to slip away for a day (Maybe 2) of diving. I realize it is a bit of a trek to the coast, but we can maybe do a tour of northern BC.

Can you locals give me some ideas as to where to go, and with whom? I am an advanced diver (full cave, rescue, etc), but don't have trimix. Send info as if cost is not an issue, and I will try to get it past my wife. It is also possible that I will be accompanied by a semi-newbie diver (brother in law), so info on easier dives would also be appreciated.

Are the Queen Charlottes reachable on a 1-2 day jaunt?

I am leaving tomorrow for the Galapagos, so I may not respond too quickly to your posts, but I do appreciate any info you could give me, and I will get back to you after Thanksgiving. (I'm giving thanks that I get to go to the Galapagos...hee...hee)

Thanks in advance for your time

Wetvet

[Are the Queen Charlottes reachable on a 1-2 day jaunt?]
Yes if you have a good cup of coffie and can live first light. It should take you 2.5 hrs from Smithers i think. As Terrace is 1 hr from Rupert. That is where you would be diving is in Prince Rupert. And it is excellent. I have no idea if there is a dive shop any more but I bet if you phone Prince Rupert commerce they could tell you. I dove ther a fair amount as I owned land north of terrace in Ross Wood. Excellent Ice climbing in the valley of five falls ?
Cheers
Derek

Thanks wolfeel,

I found a brochure of dive ops for all of BC, and the only one in Rupert was a spot called "Love Diving". Anyone heard of it? There was also a dive shop in Terrace, but I have no idea what the diving is like there. Thanks again for your help.

Wetvet

[I found a brochure of dive ops for all of BC, and the only one in Rupert was a spot called "Love Diving". Anyone heard of it? There was also a dive shop in Terrace, but I have no idea what the diving is like there. Thanks again for your help.]

A dive shop in terrace ? Times have changed. They must set people up for Kitsumkalum lake or down to Kitimate but I do not recommend Kitimate as there is a huge Smelter so it is a little dirty. The climbing shops know me very well in both Smithers and Terrace (if it is the same owners). The diving off Rupert is very much like Alaska being soo close I guess that would make sense eh. But good clear dives with untouched enviroment so full of life. The Rupert is an Island the bridge to it has a channell that is very tight but full of life as current can hume through their.

Have fun wish I was going there.

Cheers
Derek

Back
Top Bottom