Diving or snorkeling in Stingray City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altitude2010

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

Better to dive or snorkel in Stingray City in Grand Cayman? Actually, I already asked the question. But Ambassador Divers, Grand Cayman's diving operation, told me:

"As you are interested in getting to dive SRC [Stingray City] we can look to set up a trip on the afternoon of the 2nd. We would suggest that instead of diving we take you out on our SRC/Sand Bar snorkel excursion instead. We think that the shallow water at Sand Bar and the 2 other snorkel stops are a much better experience then the dive at SRC".

Can you confirm whether or not it is better to dive than to snorkel in Stingray City?

Thanks very much!

This is the dive:

Divers-at-Stingray-City-001.jpg

This is the part of the Sandbar snorkel:

stingray-city-sandbar.jpg

Which would you prefer?

We chose the dive. It's 45 mins. in 15' of water and as long as the squid lasts you're pretty much going to get mauled by the Stingrays. It used to be that you could feed them, now it's just the DM afaik - post Steve Irwin. Smear some on your arm before you dive and the rays will find you. :D

And look for Psycho (or his descendents) after the rays move to the next diveboat - just not too close, he's pretty blind:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr_evil_diver/2327603623/in/photostream/

I agree with DiverSteve. I've only done it twice. Once with my wife, and once with a friend who hadn't done it yet. IMHO, it's like the Blue Hole in Belize. It's the thrill of a lifetime....but once or twice is enough.

Also, do you want to watch people dancing from the balcony...?? or get down on the floor and dance with them?

And look for Psycho (or his descendents) after the rays move to the next diveboat - just not too close, he's pretty blind:

Psycho up close & personal | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Psycho has been deported to some other reef far away after a devastating attack upon a young tourist. (He also administered a 14-stitch bite to my wife's hand when it was her job to feed him and entice him out of his hole.) However, Psycho descendants may very well be lurking about. Exercise caution.

I have done both dive and snorkel several times and for some reason I prefer snorkeling with them.Also I should ad that on all my Stingray City trips it was on surface intervals on NON cruise ship days.

Ambassador Divers says: "We have had trouble with the Yellow Tail Snappers on the SRC [Stingray City] dive, they have become very aggressive and have bitten a number of our guests recently".

What do you think about that?

Since the introduction if the new "Wildlife Interaction Zones", which were created to protect the stingrays, it is actually illegal for tourists to feed the stingrays themselves. Only your dive/snorkel crew are supposed to be feeding the rays. If you don't have food in your hands you don't have to worry about yellowtail snappers.

Since the introduction if the new "Wildlife Interaction Zones", which were created to protect the stingrays, it is actually illegal for tourists to feed the stingrays themselves. Only your dive/snorkel crew are supposed to be feeding the rays. If you don't have food in your hands you don't have to worry about yellowtail snappers.

Thanks for the information! Then, I shouldn't be stressed out when I dive in Stingray City.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom