Diving on the Ichetucknee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i've been tubing there a few times (a while back)... and i seem to recall
that there were some divers in the water...

does anyone know if you can dive the same route the tubers take?

thanks

Isnt Itchetucknee where the Jug Hole cavern/cave dive is? High flow in a vase shapped cavern with a little passage leading off on the spring side to a collapsed tunnel?

Not sure about the river run, being a state park i am not sure on their rules, sometimes they dont like people being outside a roped off area. Where do the tubers enter, in the state park and drift or elsewhere on the river near the places where you can rent tubes?

I've snorkeled the Ichetucknee, but it's been a long time.

From the website
(although I'd like to hear more from someone who has actually dove the site) :

http://www.floridastateparks.org/ichetuckneesprings/Activities.cfm

Scuba Diving
------------
SCUBA diving is allowed at Blue Hole Spring from October through March.

Divers must be cave certified.

SCUBA diving is not permitted in the river or other springs.

There is a 1/2 mile trail to Blue Hole Spring; many divers bring a cart or wheelbarrow to transport gear.

Dives cannot extend past 5:00 p.m.

Diving Fee: $10.00 per person, October through March.

Here is the cave map, although you really cant get past the bedding plane restrictions, unless you are sidemount which requires full cave. You can however dive the cavern and first room, but its a huge hike for just a bit of diving.

SFLDiver:
(although I'd like to hear more from someone who has actually dove the site)
Dont spoil all our fun trying to work this out from the limited info. :wink:

wow... thanks guys

Andy,
It's a great run for a snorkel. Go with a group and carry an extra tube. No spots (outside of Jugg's) is deep enough to need a bottle. 3-5 mm's make it more enjoyable. You can always hop on the tube for a break :)

I did some contract work for one of the guys who helped survey that area's caves with Sheck Exley - Carl Fowler. He very much enjoyed those dives. There are a few references to Carl in Shecks book "Caverns Measureless to Man" as well as some maps of those systems and information about their discoveries and such.

You can email him at carlf@3dinspection.com now a days... he owns the company. :)

Divesherpa:
Andy,
It's a great run for a snorkel. Go with a group and carry an extra tube. No spots (outside of Jugg's) is deep enough to need a bottle. 3-5 mm's make it more enjoyable. You can always hop on the tube for a break :)

I tend to run just a tad warmer than average, but I had my zipper down on my 3/2 within 10 minutes! I would say a 3mm shortie or a dive skin would be the way to go. Having done both, I prefer going without a suit and simply resting above water for a couple of minutes to warm up from time to time. This would be different if it's cold, though. In that case I would wear the 3mm and enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom