Diving on high blood pressure meds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasport

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had heart surgury 3 months ago. I'm going to Key west tommorrow my Cardiolist said most dive shops will not allow divers to dive on a beta blocker. Does anyonre have any views on this.

Who told them somebody was taking beta blockers? What does your dr. say about your fitness to dive?

To my knowledge, dive shops rarely have anyone who is knowledgeable about medical care at all. What they want, if you are on a prescription medication, is a form from your doctor stating that you are fit to dive while taking it.

I'm assuming you have met the recommended criteria for cardiac fitness for diving, involving a treadmill. You should be aware that there are some cases of immersion pulmonary edema that seem to be associated with hypertension and beta blockers, but the condition is still rare and no one knows what the actual risks are, or whether the medication or the condition it treats is the risk factor.

It depends on the heart surgery and the patient, but in general, three months is pushing it. I wouldn't be as worried about the medication as I would be the underlying condition that it's treating. Ditto the above posters about clearance to dive; there are recommended fitness criteria for returning to diving after cardiac surgery.

Best regards,
DDM

The important thing is the type of surgery that you underwent, and if your own physician has cleared you for diving; not the meds you are taking. Check with your cardiologist.

If your doctor says you are fit enough to dive go for it. I am in my 60's and have been diving for 20 years on BP and Diabetes meds. I get a physical every year from a doctor who dives so he is aware of the environment. A twenty year old working behind a scuba shop counter who usually screws up my regulator during maintenance is not going to make medical decesions regarding my diving. He doesn't need to know and I haven't been on a dive boat yet where you did not sign a waiver exempting them from everything.

I have been on beta blockers for a decade+, doc says I am good to do. I don't bother telling the LDS. I would not do the same in the first couple of months until you know how you react to the meds, different people react differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom