Diving On A Newly Discovered Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It's not every day that I'm able to dive a newly discovered shipwreck. A few weeks ago, a shipwreck was discovered in the Straits of Mackinaw during a search and recovery mission in the Straits. Perhaps a mile east of the bridge lays on old wooden schooner barge carrying coal in 120' of water. Though still unidentified, I suspect it's the Dolphin. There are only a few schooners known to gone down (undiscovered) in the Straits area that were carrying coal.

A group of us (some who frequent Scuba Board) were already scheduled to dive together this past weekend, and we learned the whereabouts of the wreck Saturday morning. Upon reaching the wreck, it was evident that it was a small schooner barge sitting upright and mostly intact. We began our swim towards the bow, which was devastatingly collapsed. It was clear that this ship was involved in a major collision. It was also clear upon entering the wreck that the cargo (coal) had shifted forward causing the wreck to nose dive and strike bow first into the limestone bottom causing even more damage.

The windlass was still on the deck, and the anchors were among the collision damage. Upon swimming around the wreck, there were many dead eyes to see, the capstan was intact, and even the ships wheel was laying on the deck. The cabins were blown off during the sinking, which was common for the wrecks up here. The rudder was intact as well, and some damage can be seen on the hull at the stern of the ship. I suspect it sustained that little bit of damage when the stern hit the bottom. Then we swam along the bottom looking for any interesting artifacts, and saw one of the ships massive masts lying parallel to the ship. With a few dead eyes, and what remained of the crow's nest, the mast was a very interesting part of the dive for me.

Other than the zebra mussels that cover the wreck, the ship looked much like it did when it went down. Visibility was superb at about 50' or so. Current was nonexistent and the bottom temperature was 52F. The wreck does lie in the shipping channel, which makes it curious as to how it remained undiscovered for so long. I'm looking forward to going back to this wreck.

I'll abbreviate the rest of the trip. We followed that dive with a dive to the William H. Barnum which is a wooden propeller resting upright and mostly intact in 70' of water east of the bridge. It had been several years since I visited this wreck, and I enjoyed diving it again. On Sunday, we headed out for the premier wreck in the Straits (IMO), the Eber Ward. The Eber Ward is another wooden wreck that was propeller driven, and it rest upright and intact in 140' of water a few miles west of the bridge. It has three decks to explore, anchors, propeller, rudder, engine, and much more. I never get tired of diving this wreck. Following that dive, we headed over to the most famous wreck in the Straits, the steel freighter Cedarville. I chose to sit the dive out, as I just don't care to dive the Cedarville much (and I needed to work on my tan :mean: ). The wreck is buoyed in three places: the bow, the collision (about amidships), and the stern. We tied onto the bow this time. This is a huge 550' long freighter that rests almost upside down in 110' of water (you can hit the hull at 35') a few miles east of the bridge. Jeff took my rig with doubles for a test spin again (he tried them earlier this year at the Straits) and, other than a bit of unfamiliarity, seem to like the wing and harness system. The surface current was very bad and I understand visibility was rather poor on the wreck.

All in all, the weekend was perfect. The sun was out and the water was beautiful. The highlight for me was diving a newly discovered shipwreck and hanging out with other divers. This same group and I will be diving together again next week in Whitefish Bay. If anything particularly interesting occurs, perhaps I'll write a little something up.

Mike:mean:

Great report, Mike.
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like superb dives.
Rick

Lost Yooper once bubbled...
The windlass was still on the deck, and the anchors were among the collision damage. Upon swimming around the wreck, there were many dead eyes to see, the capstan was intact, and even the ships wheel was laying on the deck.

If your local laws don't forbid it, the vessel name (often builder and date) were often engraved into the capstan cover.....

Tom

I had to edit my post there a bit. I had a Freudian slip. I wrote that I thought it was the Gertrude, but I meant to say the Dolphin. The Gertrude was carrying corn. The Dolphin was 119' long that was built in 1862 and sunk in 1869 making it a very old wreck. It reportedly sunk after a collision at Waugoshance Point in only 20mins. The problem with that is the point is at least ten miles west in Lake Michigan. This wreck is on the other side of the bridge in Lake Huron.

The other possiblity is that it's the Peshtigo, a 161' Schooner carrying coal that sunk in 1878. The reported location is far better than the Dolphin, but I don't think this one was 161' long (though it's kinda hard to tell with the collision damage). The Peshtigo was also lost to collision with the St. Andrew (which also sunk). Also, the Peshtigo was a three masted schooner while the Dolphin was only two, which is what I saw. We did get numbers off the new wreck as did other divers. I'm sure we'll know for sure in a week or two.

I like the old wrecks like these. One of the oldest wrecks in the Straits preserve that has been found is the Sandusky which was built in 1848 and sunk in 1856. This is a fabulas dive too as it sits in only 80' of water and is upright and intact with the bow sprit and and rigging intact. The cabins were blown off and masts are knocked down, but it's a great wreck. Perhaps they will find the Griffin someday which was built in 1679 and may well have sunk in the northern Great Lakes.

Anyway, you guys should all come up here and see these wrecks. They are a great trip into the past.

Mike

For those interested, the new wreck in the Straits has been identified as the William Young. I hadn't even heard of this unidentified wreck before. Here's what another wreck enthousiast, Brandon Baillod, wrote about it it:

The wreck has been identified as the schooner William Young (US#26230). She was identified by her official number on her main beam. She was lost in a collision in the Straits on October 5, 1891. She was built in 1863 at Madison Dock, Ohio by A & DE Bailey for James L. Spink of Milwaukee and valued at $17,000 with an A hull rating when she came out. She was built at 414 gt. BOM / 342.66 gt. NM and 138.9 x 26.2 x 12.2 ft.

In November of 1866, she was ashore at Mackinac with minor damage and was pulled off. In July of 1869, she was damaged by heavy weather on Lake Michigan and in May of 1872 she was run on Dummy Reef near Buffalo, sunk by ice and damaged severely. She was raised and repaired. She had new decks in 1871 and in September of 1875 she was sunk in the Detroit River and raised. She was rebuilt in 1878 and in the mid 1880s was cut down to a tow barge. In her later career she was towed behind the str. George King with the schs. H.J. Webb and Levi Rawson.

Sounds to me like she really, really wanted to sink! :)

There are a lot of wrecks around here that have very similar histories of bad luck. It's an interesting hobby. You coming over this way next summer?

Mike

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom