Diving off the coast of Mombasa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fabian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I'm travelling to Kenya, Africa in November to go on Safari. While there, I intend to go scuba diving off the coast of Mombasa. I've been reading online that you can go diving with whale sharks, dolphins, giant turtles etc. Does anyone have any experiences diving in Mombasa? I would be really interested to hear about them. Where did you go to rent equipment and organize boat rides to and from the dive sites? I've read about several different places but wanted to get a second opinion. Cool, let me know if you have any stories.

note: I thought I could bold the writing in the title by entering the tags but it didn't work and now I can't change it.

Last edited:
There's good diving south of Mombasa at several of the sea resorts there, not that I have been there, but read good reports in local dive mags, which I can look up if you want.

Further up north is the island of Lamu which is a really special place, and there is some diving and there as well, according to google. Most of the dive operations rent all the gear as well, some in beter condition than others.

There's some really nice diving off North Coast too. I am biased, I have done over 300 dives with Bucaneer Diving (bucaneerdiving dot com). I have some photos and bits and bobs at my site simonrushton dot com

We are going to dive with Buccaneer Jan 1-5. We are advanced nitrox divers plus (msd and msdt). Any advice? Favorite dive sites? Should we bring our own gear? Our own cameras? One of us has big feet (Size 13) - suspect he should bring fins? Any advice and details appreciated.

Hi, sorry about website, I've had to make it a more secure site but will send you an invite! :)

If you can manage kit you will save a bit of money, an size 13 is outside the normal range of sizes it may be wise.

The centre does hire out cameras, but again if you have your own you would save some money on camera hire.

Favourite sites? So hard to say. 3 days ago we dives Birthday Reef and Lucky Chance. Birthday is a 30m reef with some beautiful life on and around it. I am just about to post a couple of photos on the facebook page. This is a good place to find out more.

Also Vuma is a great site, and your best chance (although not guarenteed) of seeing Whale Sharks.

Closer to home the wreck The Dania is well worth a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom